Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freezing Temperature bad for bass??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamaarts, Sep 17, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    My band has a show coming up on the 3rd of October, and its at an ice skating rink. And i know ive been there, that these places are literally freezers, they gotta keep the ice frozen.

Is this climate change gonna damage my Warwick Corvette? are there any precauitons i can take? im already stuck on leaving the bass in a warmer office or something, in a gig bag and whatever i can to keep away from the cold until i play, and its the first thing off the stage and out the door. but what else can i do to prevent any warping or other damage, or am i worrying about nothing.

thanks in advance and sorry if this isnt the right forum.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Unless it's outdoors, the rink should have air temperature of atleast few degrees above freezing point - modern ice halls might have the temp near the normal room temp. At larger non-ice happenings, the halls usually have their ice covered with insulation and build a floor over it, so the temps are quite decent. Besides, large crowd and stage lights warm you up pretty nicely.

You could leave the bass to the stage inside a case for couple hours before the gig to adapt if it feels chilly inside and you want to be absolutely sure, but I'd say that as long as there are no huge(from room temp to sub-zero) sudden changes, you should be fine.

Be sure to tune before and during the set though, temperature changes affect that.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I would leave it on stage to adjust..if not it will start adjusting during the gig. then pack it up and leave it be by itself for a couple of hours before taking it out agian

steve

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yep, this is definitely the approach you want to take. You do not want your bass to experience big swings in temperature quickly or while you are playing a gig. For one thing, it's very likely to go out of tune, and for another, this is the main cause of "checking" in finishes - cracks in the finish but not the actual wood. Going straight from a heated office to an ice rink is exactly what you do not want to do. Try to make the change as gradual as you can, get the bass fully acclimated to the stage temperature, tune it up, then do the gig.

5. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    thnaks, i didnt know which would be better, gradual, or as quickly as i could getr it in and out before it realized what temperature it was. i will make it gradual, and check my tuning often. thanks for the replies.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    One more thing is to make sure you let all your amps and other gear acclimated to the rinks temp before you return them on so that as you play they do not condensate inside the unit.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    good tip...

steve