Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freless-Worth It?5-String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tezrez, Aug 15, 2001.

1. 1.I was wondereing if there was sucha great big sound difference that would possess me too get a fretless.

2.What about 5-string is it higher or lower than a four string and is it worth the money?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi tezrez,
    You've asked a couple of good, but subjective questions. Fretless is definitely different than fretted, but I can't say how great a difference. That is going to depend on your ears. There are differences in the sound, the intonation, the playability, the action, the mwah, all of which depend on what bass we are talking about. A Samick fretless is going to sound a lot different than a Fodera. Strings are going to make a big difference, i.e flats/rounds/tapes etc. You need to play some fretless basses, preferably of the same brand, so you get an apples to apples comparison. Price wise, fivers are generally a little more than fours. Depends on where you are shopping and if used or new. In the used market, they are commonly the same. Good luck in your quest.
    Doc

3. thanx thats exactly what i needed to here.:p

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're interested in trying out a 5 string and a fretless I recommend the Dean Edge 5. It's very reasonably priced (I got mine for about $400 a couple years ago brand new) and is high enough quality to not embarras you on stage. :) I've been playing 5 for a long time, and I love it. I got the Dean as "my first fretless" and I've been extremely happy with it. It gets more playing time than my other basses, and I recently used it for a project with my brother where it recorded very very well.