1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD French Baroque Bow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by fleatonius, Aug 11, 2017.

1. fleatonius

fleatonius Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Price:
    $350
    Style:
    French
    IMG_0005.JPG This is a Baroque Bow that Jimmy Wang made for me. It's about 140 grams and made of snake wood and ebony. I am looking to sell it so that I can upgrade. I like the way it feels and is very easy to respond. Good for Bach, Couperin or helping you to learn more about your bowing technique.

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Would you mind explaining what makes a Baroque bow different?

-S-

3. fleatonius

Aug 18, 2006
    I call it a Baroque bow - only because it is shaped and weighted like a bow from a earlier period in double bass bow history and evolution. I suppose I could call it something else but I'm not sure. I met this great double bassist and he was using a bow like this, he said it would change my perception of a Baroque Music. I am learning more about the applications of this bow to some of the music I play. I use it on a modern bass with steel strings. J-

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    From the picture, it looks like the stick doesn't have a lot of camber. is the tension on the hair adjustable? I'm pretty sure I've seen some "historical" bows where it wasn't.

-S-

5. fleatonius

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes - it's a adjuster screw mechanism just like your other bows

6. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Is the stick fluted? What is the length? Hair looks brand new, how much time have you put on it? Type/brand of rosin? Could you post more detailed pictures? Thanks!

7. fleatonius

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi,
    The bow is about the same length as my modern bow, 26/27 inches is my best guess. The stick is not fluted and I use a little bit of pops rosin on the new hair. I am trying to sell to upgrade.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Attached Files: