1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

French basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by LouisF, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does any one have any experience with French orchestra basses? General feedback? Response? Just curious.
    Louis

2. Only a little directly, but my experience has confirmed what I've heard others say: French basses are characteristically brighter and edgier sounding, sometimes described as a nasal quality to the sound—good projection, well suited for solo work. Alex Hanna talks a bit about his French bass in this clip and points out that it's a good instrument for a principal, because of its brighter sound and projection (see 4:45):

Chris

Francois Blais likes this.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The only one I've played is currently owned by Talkbasser PapaToad (Phil Maneri), when it was owned by Steve LaSpina. I thought it had a nice growl and didn't think it was particularly.Oh wait, I played Charlie Haden's Vuilliame too. That is DEFINITELY NOT a bass I would describe as "bright"...

dhm likes this.
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, guys. Just curious -- there seem to be a lot of French basses on the market at the moment (not that I am looking)
    Louis

5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Suddenly, he saw her across the room...

CaseyVancouver and Scott Lynch like this.
  6. My teacher Darek Oles, who studied with Haden, always describes Haden's bass as sounding like a church bell.

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    As eh train says:

8. I've never understood while a salmon chanted evening was such a thing.

Salmon don't even chant.

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No.... Its Sam and Janet. Sam and Janet evening.

salcott likes this.