Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

French beauty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMX, Mar 27, 2002.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  2. I love the body-shape, but the pickup/bridge/knob/headstock is hideous imho :( :eek:

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - yuk!!!!

Sorry JMX, I think that was a really big waste of some nice wood!!!

4. I give credit to the builder for originality. I've never seen anything like that before.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's very...European.

I like the oversized knobs/wheels in a row, but Leduc should have left them exposed. Same thing for the pickups; separate matching wood covers would have looked better than the under-the-blanket approach.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    It's um, interesting. I don't really like that stain with the purpleheart, but I'd be interested in playing it. I've certainly seen uglier.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The design is debatable, but you have to admit that the carved(!) top is an extraordinary piece of workmanship.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JMX has an impressive knowledge of basses, so, I thought this would be the "looker" that it is. As another bassist who has pretty much seen `em all - IMO - the execution of the shaping that sweeps up to the pickups and controls is amazing, original, and aesthetically pleasing - to me. That wood-covered bridge treatment is incredible art!!! :eek:

On the other hand, the body wood is pretty yawn-inducing, to me. The figure, (if you can find it), is nothing I couldn't find in a board from a good hardware store. Maybe, outrageous figuring in European wood is a memory, since European forests have been depleted for so long.

The semi-covered controls, while visually awesome, are ergonomically unusable for knob twiddlers such as I. Those hoods over the controls would make it practically unusable for knob-tweaking we knob-tweaking bassists.

But, IMO, it is still an eye-catching bass and the design ideas it offers are fantastic!!! Plus, Leduc's command a lot of respect.

Thanks for sharing something I hadn't seen before that gave me new ideas, JMX! That bass incorporates some thinking that is really "outside the box." Living in Germany, I'll bet you can actually try one out.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Now that's a lot of wood! That model in a fretless would barely have any metal showing at all! Very organic. This purple/orange motif is a little unusual, I'd love to see it in some other woods.

I like all the Leduc's I've seen. Interesting things going on over there.

I wonder what's under the hood (of that wood)...

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually the props should go to JP basses who gave me the link in the chat today.

11. I think that is a very beautiful bass. Very original too. Thanks JMX. I actually saw that bass in an issue of Bass Magazine (French one).

Geoff

12. It might not be as nice looking as the U-Bass I played when I visited The Gallery in London a few years ago. But then again, no bass is. It also played like butter.
    Anyways, I like the excentricness of msr Leduc's work - how many luthiers, except Leduc, would build a bass completely out of paduak I wonder - but the big question is: do they sound as good as their looks are excentric? If they do, I mght have to start saving up some cash.
    Has anyone actually spent enough quality time with one to post a brief review? Please?

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW! I love it! I am a sucker for purpleheart, and for unusual designs, too. Kinda reminiscent of something Basslab would do, but it's wood instead of composite. Very cool design!

14. I like it. The partially hidden knobs kinda put me off a little, but, it looks nice. Very Conklin looking.

Hey Blisshead, what d'ya think?

Mike J.

P.S. No headstock. Just like the French to make a topless bass. Get me a photo of her on the beach!
    C'est manifique! :D

15. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Leduc is fabulous!

And of course there is no head! Why would he ruin a splendid construction with a misplaced counterweight?

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had pics of that bass saved for a while. It's definitely a "statement" piece.

I like the wood used, I think more figuring might detract from the real highlight of the bass, the workmanship. The "twin Garfield" controls are interesting. The wood looks like it's draped over the pickups, the bridge looks like the wood was cut open to expose it, as if it grew inside. A very organic piece.

As much as I don't typically like headless basses I think this one is a piece of art.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Help me understand you....

Theres something captivating about that bass.. its so unique.. I like it, then again, i don't. i'm so confused ;)

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I mostly love it. I like the look of the knob treatment, and would like to feel whether it is a functional improvement or a detriment. I like the bridge/tuner wood carving. It reminds me of the engine nacelles on a fighter jet. The thing I don't like completely is the pickup treatment- I like the covered box look, but I would lose the trailing ridges coming from the corners that make it look like a consumer blister pack. I would say that the wood has just enough figuring to compliment the design, without overpowering it.

I wonder what the back looks like.

Brad, what does '"twin Garfield" controls' mean?

19. OMG ! :eek:

Sex in it's purest form :

[​IMG]

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]