Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

French bow makers & books

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Paul Dwyer, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi,
    I'd like to educate myself on historic to present day makers of fine French style bows.
    Reading threads by Ken Smith and other posters I'm becoming more interested in pedigree and esteemed bass and bow makers.
    If Ken or anyone could recommend any books about bows in general (maybe something like the Elgar bass book), I'd be most grateful. And any maker's names that I could check out on the internet.

Thanks!
    Paul

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Henley Book is the most complete book on bow and violin-bass makers. There is also a newer book from France on just Bows. My friend in NY has one but is close to $3,000. a copy. This is for dealers of fine Bows and not for hobby use. Only a Bow dealer expert can tell who made which bow if at all.. More copies exist than originals. I have held a $100,000.oo Cello bow in my hands. I also used to own a fine mind condition Sartory Bass bow. I think they run 12-14k now. I tried a beautiful Lamy 100 year old Bass bow last year. It was $10k.

Great hobby to have but can get expensive...... Good luck..

BTW.. Surf all you like on the net but these books are not on line.. Bits and pieces of info do pop up here and there..

3. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for the reply and the recommendation Ken.
    I'll check the libraries when I'm back in London.

Paul

4. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Chris Brown, principal bassist for the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra (and bow dealer) wrote a book called "Discovering Bows for the Double Bass." It's well worth having if you have a real interest in this field. However, it's semi-out-of-print (you may be able to get one from Chris), and quite expensive (though not in the $3K range). I wouldn't take $500 for my copy. They're just too hard to find.