Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

French Bridge and Adjusters

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by E_bottom, Jan 31, 2003.

1. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Luthiers,
    I have a really nice Frech Bridge on my current bass. I hope I specifying it correctly by French I mean the bridge is not straight it curves up toward the nut just below the half way point and it curves back toward the endpin at the top. Another plus about the bridge is that the feet are fitted so no worrying about movement or sliding. The only downfall is that it does not have adjusters, and since we are in the middle of our worst and driest Michigan winter in 25 years I can no longer go without adjusters. Also I'm buying a set of Velvet Garbo strings soon and I will need the extra fingerboard clearence for the new strings. My question is can I add adjusters to this bridge without compromising or messing anything up? Where exactly would the adjusters go? Towards the bottom near the feet or up near the top? What kind of adjusters are best, ebony, brass, or aluminum? What thread diameter would best suit this sort of bridge? Also once the adjusters are added will the feet still be fitted the same or will it always feel, look, and sound different? Lastly will the adjusters compromise any of the sound that I'm getting now?

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA

Sounds like you have a warped bridge...also, hope you're not planning to try and BOW those garbos...