Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

French Grip

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Ambrose, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Ambrose

Ambrose

Nov 28, 2004
    I live in Berlin and am hard pressed here to find somebody who plays a french bow. I study with a teacher here who is not quite sure how to help me wit my bow grip, and honestly I wonder if what she is showing me is more destructive than helpful. My question: Does anyone know of any websites where I can find pictures of the french grip from a number of different perspectives. Or maybe comeone can take pictures of themselves and post them or send them to me. I would be much appreciative, and hopefully in far less pain.
    Ambrose

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Here's a little somethin'...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/AGK_bass_bow_grip.jpg

The photo's angle is a little weird, but it shows that the thumb is tucked under, and very stress-free. The fingers would be sort of evenly draped over the top of the stick. Make sure that your pinky finger isn't hyperextended towards the bow screw. Everything should be loose and relaxed.

The term "bow grip" is a misnomer. It's more of a hold. If you're gripping the bow, you'll get pain at some point.

3. albert19

albert19

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey!!!

I'm from Germany too.

Can you explain me whats meant with "French Grip" ???

4. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I would also like to know :) ????

Bonnie

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Check out the pic in my previous post. That's a French hold.

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA