French Radio station Interference

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jools, Apr 16, 2004.

1. jools

Apr 16, 2004
    I have my computer attached to my amp and my amp attached to my speakers.

For some reason when the amp is turned up I get interference of a french radio station. It is only slight but if my stereo is turned up only half way on the amp volume I get this radio station.

All the leads are correctly placed in the back of the amp and the computer. Also the speaker leads are correctly placed.

I think it may have something to do with the computer, because the interference starts whenever the computer is plugged in.

I have tried plugging the computer into a different mains socket. No difference.
    Could it be the quality of the mini-jack to stereo lead? or the distance between the computer and the amp? A friend said it was because the circuit was not earth-ed. But I dont think the computer or the amp have a earth lead in the plug. - But difficult to check.

Does anyone know why???? and how can I reduce the interference or even better get rid of it????? :meh:

Any thoughts appreciated.....
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Sounds like your cables are not shielded and acting as antennas. They're the most likely culprit.
  3. I have no answer to your problem, but from one Jewels to another, I want to welcome you to Talkbass, Jools! :D

I think you'll like it here.

Mike :)
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a toob geetar amp that does the same thig when I really crank the overdrive. It's kinda cool
  5. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    My teachers equipment started doing that, only he was recieving radio Russia lol. He spent ages trying to figure out what it was. He though his tinitus was talkin to him lol :rolleyes:
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Question number one: Are you located in France and near a radio transmitter?
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I used to get a Spanish station through my old strat
  8. jools

Apr 16, 2004
    Well thankyou all for your welcomes and advice. I have however draughted in a sound friend of mine and through alot of tests and wire - playing fun, it transpires that the problem is definitely the computer electrical field. (NO BOB LEE No i'm not near any French stations. The Station is being transmitted i think on LongWave.)

I have in Apple Imac 17inch and he has a Apple powerbook and we plugged the amp into both. They both came out with French on a longwave frequency even though his computer was NOT plugged into the mains.

~We tried a walkman and an iPod plugged into the amp and the French station did not appear. It is NOT the amp to mini jack lead!

Therefore reason enough states that Apple Mac's are poo and for the extra few hundred quid there defo not worth it. If I wanted a French Station I would go on the net AND FIND ONE!!!!!!!!! I dont not want one added on my Bill! Perhaps its a French - Apple American Conspiracy!

QUESTION: Why would computers pick up radio Stations????????? Could it have anything to do with Airport cards???? or bluetooth software????

Any ideas?
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Have you notified the Department of Homeland Hysteria? :D :D :D