1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Freq. curve for E.V. EVM 15B ( SRO with black "finned" magnet cover )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillnShell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I've been trying to find a pic of this speaker's frequency curve so I can build a passive crossover for it ( Hi freq. driver will be a JBL 2426J ). The only graphic reference I've found is E.V.'s info/plan for the TL606 cab, but they only show the EVM 15L's low freq. roll-off as it relates to the TL606, and the 15L's impedance curve. I'll be crossing at 1.5khz, and thus am interested in the 15B's response in that area. If anyone has additional info or experience regarding these "Labeled E.V. SRO, but but appears to be an EVM" types, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanx,

Bill

Thanx,

Bill

2. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Bump

I think I remember seeing BillyZfromLZ post on this speaker. Or maybe pm him or interceptor.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Old EV driver specs are available at the EV site, under discontinued products.

4. Thanx folks,

AX9, thanx for that link, I hadn't found that one yet.

What I'm after is a graph of the freq. response so I can match it up with the 2426J's and pick the crossover points that best integrate the two curves. So far I've found everything except the graph for the 15B..

Bill

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're probably out of luck on that count, as the crossover point is usually based on the woofer -6dB frequency at 30 degrees off axis, and I very much doubt you'd find polar plots. Even then polar plots would be in a standard baffle. Your best bet is to measure it yourself in the finished cab. That's how a loudspeaker designer would do it.

6. Thanx Bill,

Yep, gotta dust off the test gear..

Bill

7. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm running TL606's, and love 'em. I've got two of them with single 15s full range, and they work great. I have ample juice with two of them and a SWR 350 or an AMP BH260 for outdoor gigs, I use one for most of my work, which lately has been pretty low volume smallish room stuff. Efficiency is in the 99- 100 dB @ 1 W range. I wouldn't worry too much more than that if I were going to design for a mid driver. The real issue is textbook polar response from a 15, that is what I'd focus on for crossover point. I'd be designing against trying to gain an even response for the horizontal coverage of the venues I'd be most apt to play.

In practice, the EVM drivers are good to 5K, but the polar response is going to be dictated by the physics of a 15 inch driver. The obvious problem is if you want to hear your tone while standing "in the pit" with a single 15, it isn't going to happen. The mids are not going to be there for you. I'm comfortable playing somewhat blind, so I don't care. I've heard my rig out in the hall, and it sounds great there, as such as long as I can hear well enough to do what I have to on stage, all is good.

I do get a much better feel for my over tone on the jobs where I use them both, due to the the elevation of the second cabinet.

This is something that can drive one nuts. I played on pretty big stages for years, and typically was standing 15 feet from my rig. In those situations, I had a good sense of what I sounded like. The last few years, I've been playing on stages that are very small, and had to adapt to how very different everything sounds.