1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Freqbox Hard Synced /OC2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rnilson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey guys,
    I am looking at a Freqbox for waveforms, but most of the hard sync clips of it I have found on bass are pretty nasty and glitchy sounding. That is not bad in itself, but I really would need it to clean up a bit for my purposes. I really like the idea of being able to sweep though the different waveforms with an expression pedal. I would be playing it hard synced for correct pitch with a OC2 in front of it in the higher register of the bass. Can anyone tell me if I can get a nice waveform out of it or is it all just glitch? (Fight The Power?)

2. With the FM at lower settings you will get a decent representation of the waveform, at higher FM settings it tends to sound fairly similar on all the waveforms, but there is still variation. I don't think of the Freqbox as glitchy, more like an od or something.

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I wouldn't call the Freqbox glitchy at all. The only "glitch" it has is if you move the freq knob below the freq of your input signal, it may drop out altogether. I will say, however, that hard sync will not give you a pure waveform just as a result of how it works. The waveform will have some clipping/harmonics to it no matter what. But, as was already said, if you keep the FM and ENV knobs all the way down, you will get a pretty solid waveform that has just a hint of distortion/hair to it

4. +1. With good technique the FreqBox isn't glitchy... But it's not gonna give you the same pure waveforms that you'd get from a keyboard synth... You're not "generating" a pitch from the VCO, it's generating a pitch from the frequency knob and you're forcing it to reset to yours... So there's gonna be some distortion. But don't think of it like a straight up overdrive either. Anyway yeah I think it'd be great for what you want. I'm loving mine.

Brian

5. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Could some one do a sound clip(s) of the freqbox at these settings showing off the wave forms it can produce?
    Please and Thanks

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I certainly would, except that I no longer have my Freqbox (I needed my Bass MURF more at the time). I know that OriginalCrash, FightThePower, and Ron Now all have them, so maybe one of them would be kind enough to do so.

7. Hopefully, I'll get around to it... But I've never done any recording to my computer and, honestly, I'm not exactly super motivated to do it... That said, I do think it'd be cool and it'd give me a new way to play around with my effects and see what sounds I can get with them, so who knows...? :cool:

Brian

8. I'll try and get some done this weekend if I get the time.