Frequency Central O.D.-Zilla

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave Hill, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ODzilla1.jpg

I ordered a custom mini-tube OD pedal from Rick at Frequency central. I keep an OD pedal on all the time for a mild to moderate ODn tone when playing live. Currently I use a BJFE BBBOD and have been pretty pleased, but I wanted a little more control.

I've never been happy with blend knobs on a bass, effect, or preamp. Same goes for "character switches"...always prefer being able to adjust to my own preference. So I asked Rick to incorporate two separate channels; clean and effected, as well as a master vol. That way I can treat it like a mixer, then adjust overall volume.

The clean signal should lose nothing. The OD has a level and gain, and the eq effects only the OD signal. Slick, huh? I chose a Marshall tone stack, because I love the sound of re-amping an overdriven Marshall track when recording.

The "Dirt" switch is something that Rick wanted to experiment with, so I told him to have at it. Might be cool to kick on for solos or raucous passages.

Rick's bass OD pedals have been evolving through custom orders and I think he has now settled on a standard design:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/frequency-central-custom-tube-od-its-way-766094/

I'll try and post clips after I receive and mess with it.

2. AWESOME!! I so want one of these!! It must sound AMAZING!!

3. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Hot etching
    Coolest looking pedal of 2011

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021