Frequency Central O.D.-Zilla

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave Hill, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ODzilla1.jpg

I ordered a custom mini-tube OD pedal from Rick at Frequency central. I keep an OD pedal on all the time for a mild to moderate ODn tone when playing live. Currently I use a BJFE BBBOD and have been pretty pleased, but I wanted a little more control.

I've never been happy with blend knobs on a bass, effect, or preamp. Same goes for "character switches"...always prefer being able to adjust to my own preference. So I asked Rick to incorporate two separate channels; clean and effected, as well as a master vol. That way I can treat it like a mixer, then adjust overall volume.

The clean signal should lose nothing. The OD has a level and gain, and the eq effects only the OD signal. Slick, huh? I chose a Marshall tone stack, because I love the sound of re-amping an overdriven Marshall track when recording.

The "Dirt" switch is something that Rick wanted to experiment with, so I told him to have at it. Might be cool to kick on for solos or raucous passages.

Rick's bass OD pedals have been evolving through custom orders and I think he has now settled on a standard design:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/frequency-central-custom-tube-od-its-way-766094/

I'll try and post clips after I receive and mess with it.

2. AWESOME!! I so want one of these!! It must sound AMAZING!!

3. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Hot etching
    Coolest looking pedal of 2011