1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frequency centres on piccolo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ~ignited~wings~, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I'm currently in the process of building a 5 string piccolo bass (BEADG, octave up) and I was planning on using the Glockenklang 3 band pre, which I have in my possetion already.

However, as it stands at the moment, the body is SLIGHTLY too thin for the glock to fit. I can mod the bass to fit the preamp, but it would drastically change the look of the instrument, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I then considered using a Delano pre, as they are much smaller and supposedly just as transparent. However, the Glock has a treble frequency of 18KHz, which I figured would be ideal on a piccolo bass (the Delano has a centre of 6.5KH).

Do any piccolo players have any advice on the matter? Or any EQ experts? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Are you sure the Glock is 18kHz and not, say, 1.8kHz? or maybe 8.1kHz?

18kHz is 100% "air band" ...there is not a single fundamental -- or even 2nd, 3rd, or 4th harmonic -- remotely close to that frequency, regardless of whether you're playing piccolo bass or standard bass.

If boosted, an 18kHz band would add a bit of "air", "transparency", "glassiness", "micro-detail" ...and also potentially a ton of hiss.

If attenuated, an 18kHz band would do almost nothing. (Unless it is an extremely shallow shelf that extends 2+ octaves down into the treble/upper-midrange...which it probably is, otherwise why would they bother?)

Now, if the Glock really is centered @ 18kHz, all that means is that it's not a filter you'd use to bring out specific notes or to compensate for room resonances at a gig. Which you could do with the Delano. So irrespective of whether you're using a piccolo bass or a regular bass, those two preamps have two different approaches to how their EQ is designed to be used, what their EQ is designed to do.

3. +1 to Hoover.

The top of the average human hearing range is 20K
    18K is just the extreme high end stuff, there probably isn't much content there on a bass guitar.

FWIW, the treble on my mixing console is centered at 12K, and that isn't very useful on my bass.

4. Hmmm, it definately says +/- 18DB at 18KHz.

there's a video on youtube of Ed Friedlend reviewing tsome Human Base 5 string, and although I don't particularly like the sound of that bass, it has the glockenklang, and he demonstrates the effect of the treble knob, which certainly is apparent.

I thought 18KHz sounded too high, perhaps I should start a thread asking glock users about their treble control.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Well, if it's a shelving filter with really gentle slope (say 3dB/octave), and you crank it all the way up, +18dB @ 18kHz means it's +12dB @ 4.5kHz... you'll definitely hear that on a bass guitar. But if you just give that treble knob a tiny tweak, like only ±2dB @ 18kHz? Doubt you'll notice a thing down in the audible region of a bass guitar (or piccolo bass).

But asking actual Glock owners does seem like a great idea!

6. I decided to do a search before posting, and from what I've read, Glock owners seem perfectly happy with their tone, ESPECIALLY the treble control.... I figure I'll just trust the guys at glockenklang.