Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frequency of open E & D

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jivetkr, Feb 14, 2003.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Does anyone know the frequency of the open E string?

In addition, does anyone know the frequency when its dropped to D?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As I recall, open E is just over 40Hz. Not sure about the D, but the B below is about 30Hz, so you're looking at somewhere around 38Hz. Of course, the tonal characteristics of the sound you hear also have a good measure of harmonic overtones blended in, which is why you can still get a good illusion of a low E even if your amp starts rolling off somewhere above 40Hz.

Any particular reason why you ask?

Wulf

3. B is 30.868Hz.
    E is 41.203Hz.
    A is 55Hz.
    D is 73.416Hz.
    G is 97.999Hz.

Good old differential equations class, I knew it would come in handy one day.;)

Geoff

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the info, but do you happen to have the A just below low B?

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    In that case, D below the open E will be half the frequency of the open D (up one octave = double frequency)....

... about 37 Hz (so I was a little bit out)

Hope the rounded numbers don't offend anyone, but I went on to study history, not maths ;)

Wulf

6. As wulf said, you always multiply by two to get the next octave of a given note.

So, for A

A0 = 27.5Hz
    A1 = 55Hz
    A2 = 110Hz
    A3 = 220Hz
    A4 = 440Hz

Hope that helps.

Geoff

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So...which ones the brown note ;)

9. It's 7.something Hz, isn't it?

10. brown note = 96 cents below the lowest E flat

im studying all of this for my high school science olympiad where i had to build a guitar that resonated by having 2 styrofoam coolers bolted to the ends of the neck. sounds like a banjo and i played no one knows by queens of the stone age and actually got more points for knowing this than for playing the song...

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Wrong Robot is refering to a previous thread where everyone was getting carried away with accurate reproduction of the low B = 31.5hz. I nominated this as the "Brown Note" to give the south park fans a bit of a giggle but it seems to have stuck.......