Frequency Range of a Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eurus, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Does anyone know what the frequency ranges are for a 4-string, 5-string, and 6-string bass?

I'm just curious as to how the effectiveness of a speaker's ability to span a range of 20Hz-20kHz really ties into the sound output of the bass strings.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The low B-string is 30.9 hz. Top end on a 6-string will probably be somewhere in the 400 hz range (jt ?). So let's say 500 hz at the highest. However, if you used a cab with a frequency range of, say, 20-2k hz., your tone would fairly suck, because you wouldn't be able to reproduce the complex overtones necessary to get that full, rich, satisfying tone from the bass.
  3. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    try <a href="">here</a>. with the low E being 41 hz
  4. Cool! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, and about them overtones, without them, music would be so blah... Have you ever heard frequencies without overtones? It would be sad if our perception of sound were based on such sounds...
  5. By the way, just to clarify, the reason why I was curious as to the range of the bass was because I look at the frequency response plots of speakers and just wanted to be sure of where a bass's response ties into that (although I think that my ear would be the better judge). I guess I'm more concerned about the bottom end rather than the top...