Frequency range Q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by konfishily, Jun 6, 2005.

1. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is there a noticable difference in the bottom end if use a speaker with a frequency range of 55hz-5khz as opposed to 45hz-3.5khz?

Im deciding whether a different set of speakers will be an adequit replacement for another.
  2. I don't know where the Q part in your heading comes in - you are talking about the frequency range of the speaker/cab yes?

In my experience, yes you can hear the difference, but that is up for debate also... with two speakers of the same make, but with different ranges, yes, I think you will.

The diference btw different types/brands of speakers is going to be more noticeable than their different frequency ranges IMO.
  3. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    The speakers im comparing are Eminence

Delta lite 2512 vs. Delta 12b
  4. I don't know those speakers unfortunately...
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Knowing the basic driver frequency response specs alone is inadequate. You can only make a valid comparison by actually modeling the response of the drivers in the proposed cabinet for the bass (200 Hz and lower) frequencies, while comparing measured SPL charts for the higher frequencies.
  6. If you had a really good ear, I'd say there'd be a noticeable difference. However, I'd say look more at the weight and power handling, and just give the speaker that goes with that choice a listen.
  7. There's a LOT more involved than just the freq range. Check all the small-Thiele parameters and try to get a good match.

I'd guess compliance and resonant freqs are more important to how the speaker will react in a box than just the freq response, but I'm no expert.

But I DO know enough to know freq response alone isn't adequate by a long shot.

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    All that spec tells you is that the speaker is doing "something" between those frequencies. A fat lot of good that is if they're 12dB down at those points. Or are they 20dB down, or 3dB? Who knows?

Since we're talking raw drivers, run them through a Thiele Small based software program like WinISD and you'll get a much better picture of the "real" frequency range.