Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frequency responce??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by affro, Nov 10, 2002.

1. ok, heres the deal.
    i am thinking of replacing the 15" speaker in my 1x5 because it is currently a 4 ohm speaker and i would rather 8. also, it is kinda old as well.
    when i go to the web sites of several speaker manufacturers (eg - eminence) it says that their 15" speakers have frequency responce of say 40hz-4kz. i play a five string, and i am told that the b sting i about 25/30hz? does this meen playing the b string through a 15" speaker that only goes down to 40hz will harm the speaker?

2. Frequency response specs should be taken with a small boulder of salt. Given how weak the fundamental frequency is with notes low on the B string, and that it dies very quickly with all but the most sustain-heavy basses, you don't need to worry.

Now, if you're running 25Hz pink noise through those speakers, pushed by a 2000-watt power amp, you will have some problems. But for ordinary usage at even very high volumes, you won't have to worry.