Frequency Response - Fender Rumble 500 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felis, Nov 18, 2015.

1. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Would anyone happen to know what the frequency response of this amp is?

Fender doesn't list it, and a search turned up no useful results.

Just curious, because I'm debating between a combo amp, and a general purpose
    powered PA speaker. Some of those I've been looking at go down to around 50Hz or so.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Not sure I understand your application.
    As a bass amp, the Rumble 500 is an excellent combo, which is its purpose.
    I would use PA speakers if I were planning to run a PA.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    40Hz - 18kHz. Fender doesn't publish these specs purposely. All of the Rumble combos from the 40 on up to the 500 will reproduce a low E, and handle a low B without issue.

mikecd1 likes this.
  4. Go play one loudly. Judge if the combo is right for you. Personally I have found ever single combo I have played lacking in some combination of ton/volume. Too many considerations in trying to make the package small/light enough IMO.

5. To my ears my v3 rumble 100 doesn't go above 2k (ish)
    But maybe the 500 has a horn added to it?

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Every bass player should walk over to the PA/FOH part of the store and try out the options there.

For pro quality powered PA speakers you'll find full measurements including charts. Here's a good JBL option
    http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/EON612_SpecSheet_4 28 15.pdf

For bass gear, forget about getting any kind of measurements. Spouting frequency response means nothing without the db levels. But with any PC or smart phone you can do a decent measurement yourself.

A lot of people will just buy something and try it for a month, then return it if it doesn't work out. Chances are if you buy something, you just keep it. Your brain will get use to it after a period of time and you'll be happy with it.

7. Remember that when comparing amp/speaker combinations (powered PA speakers or bass combo's), that the frequency response you need to use is that of the combination, and not just the amp. and you'll also want the same for off-axis (30 & 45 degrees), and distortion (of the combination) at low, medium and full rated power. These are almost never available.

More importantly, rigs differ in tone, overload characteristics, EQ flexibility, reliability and ergonomics (among many other things). Performance specs are probably among the least reliable methods of choosing a rig. Since you are somewhere in the midwest, consider visiting a few music stores and getting first hand knowledge of the equipment you are interested in. You should also consider buying used: for the price of the Fender, you could get a decent head and cab. Check out CL and the TB classifieds.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Eminence 12" driver in the Rumble 100 combo goes to 4.5Khz. The tweeters in the 200 & 500 combos plus all the extension speaker cabinets goes to 18kHz.

9. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Thanks guys. I got the Rumble 500. Found a used one in good condition for a reasonable price. Went and tried it out first.

I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work out for me. It was kind of impulsive, but I've heard enough good things about them
    that I didn't want to take the chance of missing out on it.

Can I ask where you got this info from? I'm just genuinely curious.

mikecd1, seamonkey and Linnin like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I have inside connections at Fender. Some things they'll tell me, and a whole lot of things they won't.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Will they at least tell you the rest of the frequency spec: +/- how many dB the response is at those frequencies? The figures you quoted are completely meaningless as-is, not that it's your fault. [​IMG]

dincz likes this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Nope.

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    @felis: Pop by the Fender Rumble Club as there are a lot of resources available; from a series of 'Rumble Talks' on various technical aspects of the V3 Rumbles, a 'Tone Pool' where many club members have posted their personal tone settings, a discussion on gain structure, and more.

Dueling Banjos likes this.
  14. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I'll do that. So far (just a few hours), I really like what I'm hearing from this.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    It's a small compression driver, looked Chinese to me. (Love Tai)

16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    What's cool is that you'll never stop liking what you're hearing from this.

Linnin likes this.
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    my feelings about combos in general too, but the new rumble 500 is essentially their regular 500w @ 4Ω head stuffed into the back of their regular 8Ω 2x10 cab, so it's more legit. (and it's still disturbingly light)

stick a second rumble 2x10 cab underneath and you have a pretty strong rock and roll bass stack.

18. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Yeah, my top secret cab design goes down to 12Hz (-50dB).

Passinwind likes this.
  19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Mine goes to 11. That's one less i'n't it?

Dueling Banjos likes this.
  20. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Yes - I should have explained. I started with bass a couple years ago, don't gig and normally practice
    with a smaller speaker/monitor. This speaker probably cuts off some of the low end, but I like and am used
    to that type of sound.
    I was afraid that if I got too much bass, it would just sound muddy to me. I'm finding that not to be the case though.
    Besides - that's what eq's for right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021