1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frequency Response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgesEric, Apr 11, 2021.

1. GeorgesEric

GeorgesEric

Mar 24, 2021
    Below are the frequency response specs of various bass cabinets from a manufacturer. Name not important.

Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 45 – 5k

Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 45 – 18k

115 210
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 – 15k

Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 – 7k

Curious about the 115 210 numbers and the 810.

I don't know anything about this subject.

2. What exactly are you wanting to know?

it looks like the 115 and 810 don’t have a tweeter whereas the 210 210/115 and 410 do.

DirtDog, mcnach, dkelley and 4 others like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What's the sensitivity and the power handling of each speaker?

4. Bonsist

Bonsist

Jan 28, 2021
    Those numbers mean the size of the cab I think & their corresponding frequency responses. Their frequency response will usually tell you if there is a tweeter like @Plastalmonus mentioned.

The ones with less frequency response don't have a tweeter, the ones that do will have more higher frequency content.

5. GeorgesEric

GeorgesEric

Mar 24, 2021
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 45 – 5k
    400w 8 ohms

400w
    8 ohms

115 210
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 – 15k
    600w
    4 ohms
    1-inch Horn (40-watt)

800w
    8 ohms
    1-inch with L-Pad

Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 – 7k
    1600w / 800w (x2)
    4ohms / 8 ohms (x2)

= = = = =

I just like to look at numbers. I don't understand:

Why is the frequency response of the 115 lowered when joined with the 210? I did not think the horn have any effect on the lower frequency. I thought the horn was for the upper frequencies.

Why doesn't the 810 have more higher range of frequency response in the upper frequency? 7k seems a fair bit lower than the other cabs.

= = = = =

I play for fun. Got a Schecter Hellcat VI, starting to look for a nice cab for it. Debating between the 115 and the 210. Got sidetracked looking at the specs of all cabs, hence this thread.

6. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    It makes me very wondering how it was possible to design for any configuration of these cabs to meet exactly either the 40Hz or 45Hz point but nothing in between?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  7. Having recently taken some actual frequency response measurements of a couple of popular cabinets with single 12” woofers and high-frequency drivers, I expect that the upper and lower extension specs of the cabinets in question are fantasy. Both the cabinets I measured dropped like a brick below 80 Hz and above 4 kHz. One of them had a level control for the high freq horn, and with it turned off response brick-walled at 2 kHz.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

dabis, roborend, nbsipics and 5 others like this.
  8. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    The frequency responses are not referencing size/volume of the cab.

9. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    @agedhorse has already rode in, so you’re going to get good information, but I at least can tell you there’s more to frequency response than driver size.

dkelley and agedhorse like this.
  10. musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Whether it's a 110 or 810 makes zero difference in regards to the high frequency extension of a tweeter.

Looking at this very small bit of information, I would venture to say that the 810 that you're pulling this info from does not have a tweeter at all.

Honestly, I think you're trying to extrapolate way too much information by looking at just a few basic stats, believing that that is all there is to the story.

mcnach, thetragichero and Riff Ranger like this.
  11. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    And accordingly more to (low response) SPL than amp power

Riff Ranger likes this.
  12. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What is the frequency response of your ears? What is the frequency response of the ears of the people in the audience?

dabis likes this.
  13. musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Hey GeorgesEric, I just realized you are brand new to the forum, and maybe new to amps and all this jargon in general.

There is SO MUCH great existing info on this forum! In this thread AMPS FAQ!! Info on OHMS, Allsize RIGS-OverUnderPowerCabs DIY TechTalk-Links there are links to a bazillion discussions about all the things you are wanting to know. I think you might be in that place where "you don't know what you don't know" and spending a few hours soaking in pages and pages of info will be really useful to you!

Best of luck!

geof_, Riff Ranger and BeyondFiredUp like this.
  14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    The frequency response is lower on the one with 3 drivers because you're adding more drivers. More speakers, more sound. The 810 has a response of 7k because it has no tweeter. The high end goes to 7k as opposed to 5k because it has more speakers. More speakers, more sound. Get it?

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    When you set your HPF to 100 Hz I’m not sure how anyone would know the difference between 40 and 45.

monsterthompson likes this.
  16. musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Are you just pullin' OP's leg here, or are you actually being serious? I can't tell if this is sarcasm font or not.

Jacobfred, mcnach, legalbass and 5 others like this.
  17. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    The cabinets that have a top range of 15k- 18k most likely have a tweeter of some sort to augment high frequencies.

knumbskull and Bonsist like this.
  18. Bonsist

Bonsist

Jan 28, 2021
    The 410 & 810 numbers are referencing the sizes of the cabs but the frequency response that corresponds to each size will tell you if there was a tweeter in the IR file included. Since higher frequencies will reveal if there was a tweeter or not.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I did meant what I said. I just didn't expand on what I meant. Usueable frequencies are enhanced by the volume increase. The speakers still kick the same frequencies they always do. But, roll off is less noticeable. More speaker, more sound. So, X frequency @ -Y db, with more volume, = greater useable frequency range. Am I wrong?

20. musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    What do you mean when you say "size of the cab?" I think you mean the configuration, or quantity and diameter of DRIVERS, not the SIZE of the cab, right? ie: 410 means a configuration of four ten inch drivers.

The size of a cab is measured by inches or millimeters of length, width, and height. I think OP may just be starting to learn about amps and cabs... there's a lot to get confused about, so it's important that we are using the right terms. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    mcnach and Bonsist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021