1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frequency Response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slayter97, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Slayter97

Slayter97

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey all, I've been looking to buy a new cab soon and I've been looking around for a few weeks. I've seen that frequency response comes up a lot on here when people are looking at prospective gear. I must ask, what is frequency response? I've honestly never given thought to it until I read it on here.

2. It is pretty much a measurement of how sensitive the cab across the frequency band. For example there are some cabs that roll off higher than others. These cabs may not feel as "deep" as one that has better low end response.

The important thing to consider is that the vast majority of manufacturers specs (Power handling, frequency response, sensitivity etc) are fluffed up by marketeers. If there is not some actual measurement put down on paper, then your best option is to go out and play through those cabs.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    How high, and how low the cab will go. It's complicated, and usually "best" to just use your ears and pick a cab based on how it sounds to you.

4. +1. and there are no standards of reporting. Also, most importantly, the numbers (even when reported accurately or in detail) don't really predict how 'good' the cab will sound to you. More extended low end.... might be good or not depending on the head and bass you are using, the EQ power of the head, and the tone goal you are trying to achieve. 'Flatter mids versus mid bumps/dips in certain areas', again, might be good or bad, etc.

Unfortunately, even if you have detailed on and off axis plots, they tell you very little about the actual tone of the cab (which is impacted by distortion levels, etc., etc.) and also the voicing of the bass and head that are driving it.

So, ignore the numbers and look at the reviews if you can't try the cab yourself. IMO and lots of IME on this one.

5. Slayter97

Slayter97

Jul 29, 2011
    Sounds good to me. Thank you for the prompt responses!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021