1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Frequency values to notes conversion' chart for bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Diggler, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Is anyone aware of a chart that shows the frequencies for notes in the typical bass guitar octaves?

I am playing an acoustic gig tomorrow using my acoustic bass, and may need to 'notch out' or 'tone down' some overbearing notes with my parametric EQ. A quick reference chart would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    B0 = 30.868 Hz
    E1 = 41.204 Hz
    A1 = 55 Hz
    D2 = 73.416 Hz
    G2 = 97.999 Hz
    C3 = 130.813 Hz

3. here you go.

these frequencies are for as read on bass(notes written an octave higher than they sound).

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hope this helps :)

5. BargeOn

BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Another interesting fact is that at 30hz I believe the wave length of the fundamental is around 17 meters or over 50ft.

6. speed of sound is ~1130 ft/sec, so to get wavelength for a given frequency you want 1130/f. 30hz gives you about 37 feet. I've actually got a spreadsheet with freq, wavelength, period in sec, and period in samples for a few common sample rates if anyone is interested.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Good to know the wavelengths too if you're seeking explanations why certain notes resonate much better in a room than other. (Sure you can calculate it, but this is faster:)).

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Thanks!

I printed out the spreadsheet and it will be a great help. I never memorized the frequencies so it would be a bit of trial and error before I hit the right one.