Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

frequency

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaworski, Jan 2, 2003.

1. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    hey everyone, i've been playing bass for about 6 months, and i've just recently changed the settings around on my amp but some things i don't understand...

like what exactly does frequency do?

and also on my amp i have the following options...
    volume | bass . frequency . gain . treble | gain (input) and i was wondering how to get a heavier sound, without making it too powerful eg. when i have my bass options real high it makes a weird sound... the amp is laney, if that helps too.

also, just any tips on different eq set-ups and what sound they produce would be really good too.

thanks in advance

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The frequency knob is part of the semi parametric mid EQ. The frequency knob sets the frequency that will be affected by the EQ, and the gain knob right next to it sets by how much. The bass knob and treble knobs have set frequencies that you cannot adjust. You only adjust the gain on those. This is pretty common in bass amplifiers. I'm sure I did a terrible job of explaining all this so hopefully someone else will come along and do a better job.

3. Like PH says, the frequency knob will let you select the bass frequency you want to cut/boost. The lower the number ( 800-50) the lower portion of the sound you will cut or boost. This knob usually works in conjunction with the bass knob. So first you select the frequency and then you either boost or cut it. If you bass knob is set at 12:00 the frequency knob won't effect any change no matter where you set it. Here is a way to see how things work. First turn the amp down a bit so as not to hurt yourself. Set the bass to boost full, that's probably about 5:00. Now play and let ring the low E string. While it is sustaining, sweep the frequency knob and listen to the different parts of the note that are boosted as you turn the knob. Now set the bass knob to full cut (about 7:00) and sweep as before. This should demonstrate how this control works. As for getting the sound you want, just turn them their knobs and listen. You'll find it sooner or later............good luck....:D