Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frequent Changing of Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kwd, Jun 26, 2003.

1. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley

I have my bass equipped with strings that claim to be suitable for both arco and pizz playing. The pizz sound is very good. However, while the D and G strings bow and pluck well I have a difficult time getting the fundamental out of the E and A strings when bowed. I've resorted to putting on E and A orchestra strings for my lessons and lesson practicing and swapping back to the original strings for jazz rehearsals and gigs. I don't mind changing the strings, but I wonder if the frequent releasing and applying of tension is going to cause the sound post to wander.

Thoughts?

2. If you're changing Obligatos, you'll kill them in a short time. Steel strings should not be a problem. I know a NYC player that for a short time had to switch strings back and forth between gut and steel twice a day. Arnold knows her, too (Louise)
    Change one string at a time and bring it up to pitch before changing the other.

3. heh. I remember switching between solo strings and orchestra strings like four or five times a week... fun stuff. Get to either spend half an hour changing strings, or play on tuned down solo strings that feel (and sound) like silly putty... I think someone needs to invent a neck that moves up and down somehow to switch between solo and standard tuning. Or maybe not, that might be pretty wierd to play on. :rolleyes:

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    How about getting a better hybrid string, that would work good for both jobs?
    Which strings are you using now?

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I'm using Helicore Hybrids. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing D'Addario. I think it's a good string, but this might best I can expect with a hybrid. Using a hybrid is really a compromise. I'd certainly be interested to know about other hybrid options, but from the other posts it sounds as if I'm going to be consigned to the string changing routine if I want the best sound for the context.

Lemur offers a string by Picato. Their rope core jazz string is supposed be good choice jazz players who played bowed solos. Does anyone have experience with that string?

I really appreciate all of the posts.

-kwd

6. On my basses, the only string that performed well for both arco and pizz is the Obligato. Do some thread research. It is one of the most discussed strings.
    The E is a little soft and slightly slow getting started with the bow. I don't have any trouble compensating for this; others act like the sky is falling. I have used them on my orchestra bass for an entire season.
    I put Pirastro Flat-Chromesteel (white tail with ruby spiral)on for orchestra use and was surprised by their long sustain when played pizz.
    They are on the bright side.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Kolstein Varicor Excels are also an excellent hybrid string.

Thomastik Dominants too, but they're a bit stiff, and might not fit a bass with longer scale, or if the bridge-tailpiece distance is too wide. (they're made in 3/4 only)

8. I've played the flat-cromesteels like Don says on a number of basses, and if I played any amount of jazz I'd probably put them on mine. the bow easily and still sound pretty clear and clean for pizz.

9. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've really appreciated all of the posts. I received timely responses for my original question and valuable suggestions for strings that might be a better choice for my situation.