Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fresh flatwound sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, May 3, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I thought i found the flats for me, Ernie balls, they sound exactly how i want it, when there new. After some hours of playing they got broken in a bit and they sort of go "dead" for every tone i play.

My question is, i love flats when there new, is there a magical string that sounds like that for a long time?

2. I don't know but Elixir maybe make Coated Flatwounds.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The longest lasting flats i've ever used is Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats.
    I'm talking years here.
    Get them here:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Vintage-Bass..._W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfclZ4QQftidZ2QQsclZ1QQtZkm
    Best price around

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sorry but there to light for me, i want heavy gauge like 50-110.

5. My TI Jazz Flats sound the same after several years' use.

Yes, they are light tension. For me, this is less hassle than changing strings all the time.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a set of SIT powerflats hitting the 2.5 year mark without any real noticable change in tone. They are stiff, but not too bad. My D'addario Half-Round are more roundwound tension but flat feel and sound... 6 months of constant 2 to 4 hour daily play and they haven't 'gone dead' yet either. The D'addario are brighter & snappier with the SIT being darker.... both have killer tone IMO/E

7. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Rotosound RS77EL set. It's been my standard string for nearly 20 years. Unless I have a need, I go for years inbetween changing strings. Love 'em.