1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fresh Setup and New Strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by NicholasF, Nov 4, 2013.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Hey everyone,

Ive been looking around the forums for answers to a couple of questions, and it is very possible that I missed something.

Im currently playing a 2009 GK Upton setup with Evah weichs and a marvin tailpeice.

I love my evah A & D strings to no end, and even the G sounds great.

What I am trying to figure out is what kind of string (Solo string) would work with an evah solo A & D, so I can get a better sounding E (sounds flat and just kind of bad, has no body to it) and better sounding G (sometimes it sounds a little nasaly and a tiny bit screechy, but more or less sounds excellent when going from the D to the high D), without giving up the ease of bowing. Should I get an Evah G for solos and get rid of the A?(All strings will be solo guage I dont care about cost or brand, just feel and sound :) )

(the bass needs all new strings, its a well needed investment)

Im getting into solo playing and like the feel of solo strings tuned down for orchestral playing. My bass is a solo bass so I feel as though a better arco string with less tension might fit better.

Also do you think the marvin should stay or go?

Thanks! :confused:

2. Just a thought - maybe the E string you got was/is just a bad one? Maybe if you send it back they will send you a new set of strings - at least its worth a try. And good luck with your replacement search.

3. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    I think it might be a combo with my bass, it just doesnt work to well... plus they arnt new strings, so I will get new evahs. Thanks!

Edit:atleast a new evah D and maybe G/A

4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Bump, any other thoughts?

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    In my experience much of this type of frustration my be due more to setup issues than strings. I would put an ebony tailpiece on your bass and adjust the sound post fit and position, possibly moving it toward the outside. Strings are often used to compensate for setup issues which should be addressed first.