Fresher 'Electric Bass', is this just a fake or hwat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabriel Waite, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Gabriel Waite

Gabriel Waite

Apr 26, 2021
    16194330212038127488990905281109.jpg 1619433104280562736449973780545.jpg So about a year ago my friend gifted me this old beaten up bass after I said I enjoyed hearing him play and would like one myself. I played it for a bit and then forgot about it but now I've got back into it and I would just like some more information about this bass specifically.

The Bass (I'll attach photos) is labelled as a Fresher Electric Bass on the headstock, but after a bit of research I can't find a single one with that decal, they all say Fresher precision bass.

This leads me to think that it's a fake but im not sure why someone would bother faking this make as it seems pretty obscure and not especially expensive. Apart from that everything seems to look fairly legit next to there 70s models, as well as looking pretty aged (and sounding it lol the electrics have seen better days).

So yeah if anyone could help me out here that would be much appreciated. If it a genuine Fresher I would like to get it repaired but if not I'll just keep using it until I'm a bit better at playing and buy a new one. Cheers!

Also if this post is in the wrong place my apologies, just joined the forum:)

Attached Files:

andruca and Admiral Akbar like this.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

It seems possible that someone who's last name or nickname is Fresher put this together out of parts and had the decal made just for fun.

Welcome to the forum. :)

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I just realized you did find a "Fresher" brand. I guess I've got nothing for you other than a "welcome"

3. Gabriel Waite

Gabriel Waite

Apr 26, 2021
    I thought that as well but it was a genuine brand (idk if they still make basses now) but if you search in Fresher precision bass they will come up, I'm just confused as to why I have the only one which says 'Electric Bass' on it haha. Thanks!

B-Mac and EatS1stBassist like this.
  4. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    49jcnhk81j531.jpg

5. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    cool bass, loosen the strings and get them in the notches in the metal bridge and you''ll have more consistent spacing for your right hand

6. Action looks a mile high, too, even with the saddles as low as they could go. Bass seriously needs a set up...

Gabriel Waite likes this.
  7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    What a ridiculous suggestion.

r444mcw95twkiqv1eg7ru1iamb9hp5i3.jpg

8. Gabriel Waite

Gabriel Waite

Apr 26, 2021
    I'm sure it does lol, I'm quite new to bass so I've just not noticed. Next time my friends in town I'll have him take a look. Thanks!

9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Nickel tuners and a two-saddle bridge tell me this is seventies all the way. Maybe earlier ones were "Electric Bass" and then the change to "Precision." Or perhaps the other way around, if Fender sent a cease and desist order.

JimmyThunder, retslock, MCF and 2 others like this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    wdvvygqku0errrpuf49e.jpg

11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    I think I've seen a '70s copy from another brand, possibly El Degas, that also had an Electric Bass label. Those copies were heavily "specifications subject to change without notice," so finding oddball features that you can't find images of online isn't uncommon.

MattZilla, kjp360 and Gabriel Waite like this.
  12. Gabriel Waite

Gabriel Waite

Apr 26, 2021
    Thanks guys very interesting :) cool to think this bass could be 50 years old!

13. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Fresher is not a brand one will fake,its the cheapest of the copies made at that era.
    Its worth around 300 $ and it can say just about anything on the headstock.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They also made guitars, of course. The Fresher Straighter (great name) was their Strat copy. Jimmy Nolen of James Brown's band used to play one.

jimminolen3.gif

287980-5fa2abfa9242817f2e4087ed27f5ea8a.jpg

B-Mac, hieronymous, P. Aaron and 6 others like this.
  15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
  16. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I see Freshers for sale all the time. Just an old MIJ label. All it probably needs is a better bridge and some new strings. Unless the neck went goofy from sitting around, it'll probably be a good bass for years to come.

17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I've seen one of these before, basically just a different decal on the headstock playing off "Fender" was always my guess. What they/the parts really are and what they play and sounds like...who knows.

18. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That!!^^

The Fresher Personal bass and the Fresher Straighter guitar...a distinctly blatant attempt to rip off fender :D

Gabriel Waite, B-Mac and PWRL like this.
  19. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    As an ex-skier, I declare this totally dope.

MattZilla, B-Mac, /\/\3phist0 and 4 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021