Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freshest Strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Razor, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hey everybody....

Want to get opinions on where to buy (online preferably) the "freshest" strings. I'm just getting really tired of going into the local Guitar Center and plopping down 25 bucks for a set of Hi-Beams and when I string them up....they seem like they've been sitting on the rack forever.

Any good results you've had will be appreciated in advance...thanks.

2. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    http://www.sobstrings.net

Snake Oil strings are made up as you order these. Contact Dean Farley at the email address on the website (leomuser@aol.com). Top-notch strings & Dean is a pleasure to work with.

I am not affiliated with this company; just a loyal user of these strings (CL for bass) and various gauges/sets of nickels for my guitars. Strings are long lasting and sound great.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I've had my share of having to buy crudded strings at the local scamway.

Best bet for me - DAddarios. The way they seal them these days, it's almost impossible to get a stale string.

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I will only use 2 types of strings.

D'addario Slowwound soft/regulars 35/105
    Labella super step the same.

I went on a search of the holy grail of strings about a decade ago and bout like 25 different types of strings to test the durability wear etc. and only 2 made the cut!

I use the D'addarios 99.9% of the time because they have a higher tension for the same gauge and that is very important to me.
    and They dont sell the Labellas around me! But the super steps are a fine string that is cheap for a 4 string set at only $18/set!

The D'addarios last 200x longer than any other string I have tried.

I am testing the SIT strings in the gauge I like and they react like the Labellas with slightly less tension but still a very nic string that hasnt gone flat on me yet!

I love my Slowwounds and encourage everyone to try them at least once.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I haven't tried Slowwounds yet. I might next time. Thanks for the review.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hehehe..sorry guys, great reviews but I prefer DR's...I was actually wanting to know which places you've had good fortune in finding fresh strings to buy, as opposed to the kind.

7. +1,000

DR's rock... I did the same exact thing as SBassman4x..

In fact, the local guitar shop guys knew me by name.."Hey Chris, trying out yet another brand of string today??"

Even though I play in Dropped D sometimes, on a 33.5 scale bass....my choice remains Sunbeams

P.S. - I ordered DR Nickel Lo-Riders on Musician's Friend, and even though I didn't like their tone, they were pretty fresh... Locally, the only guys that carry my 'Beams are Bass Central...+1

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    So the one's you've gotten from Bass Central have been pretty "fresh"?

9. Yes

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have had pretty good luck in the past with juststrings.com. I used to use DR's exclusively, and I bought them from them all the time. They always seemed to be pretty "fresh" when I got them from them.

11. daddario xl's are the brigthest strings I've bougth took me about 2-3 weeks to get the zing out of them

12. I had sworn by earnie ball super slinkies for the longest time (either that or fender roundwounds), but i tried DR lowriders for the first time for our last gig and i loved the was they sounded, and the feel was much more solid.a bit overpriced though

13. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I've actually gotten very "fresh" strings from MusiciansFriend.com and Music123.com . . . and that's a variety of strings, including Rotosound RS77s, RS55s, D'addario Chromes, D'addario Nickel XLs, DR Hi-Beams, and DR Lo-Riders. All of them were perfect out of the box. After that, they lasted varying amounts of time before dying, but they were all "new"-sounding when I strung them up.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Thanks guys...this helps a lot! I'm just trying to get away from Guitar Center.

Every set I get there seems like it's been sitting on the rack for months. I'm gonna try one more thing, and that's to get the set all the way in the back of the stand...I'm guessing that GC probably pulls the older sets of strings to the front of the stand when adding new stock.

But I will be checking out these online vendors you all have recommended. Thanks again!