Fret- and Headless Neck-Through Multiscale 6-String (Walnut-burl, Mahogany, Bubinga)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by couchsofa, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Thanks, I think I'm on a good path. Here are proper technical drawings of the bottom loader with fixed M3 rod.

tumblr_ndhlelCFrj1twvu9io2_1280.png
    tumblr_ndhlelCFrj1twvu9io1_1280.png
    tumblr_ndhlelCFrj1twvu9io3_1280.png
    tumblr_ndhlelCFrj1twvu9io4_1280.png

blablas likes this.
  2. This design is lot better as far as fabricating goes, it appears to be relatively easy and straight forward to make now. Well done!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. A small update, not a lot has happened. I ordered brass for the tuners and will get to test the design on a piece next week.
    I'm probably going to write the gcode for most of the features and do the round-overs by hand and with a lathe.

The Lasersaur at the FabLab is almost ready! Here's a pic from earlier last week, by now the electronics have moved in and the lasertube has found a new home ;)

tumblr_neiri3Hfof1twvu9io1_1280.jpg

I also transferred the design to svg, since the cutter will be able to read that. Traced most of it by hand, fixed a few spots and constructed the neck template from the geometry of the scales (15° at bridge and saddle, 15mm string spacing at bridge and 9mm at the saddle).

tumblr_neiri3Hfof1twvu9io2_1280.png

4. What's up with the rounded corners? Body is longer than the neck to leave room for the tuners at the end of the neck or...?

5. Yep! It's easier to see in the original design:

tumblr_nej57oXxX11twvu9io1_1280.png

6. Welp, that one flew right over my head when I looked at the original design! :D

7. I started prototyping a tuner this evening. The brass was cut with a miter saw ... the dull blade left some rough edges and the cuts weren't very clean :/
    I think they would be rather easy to clean up and get perpendicular planes using a lathe but the only guy qualified to operate it wasn't in the lab today.

tumblr_neqp5zeda21twvu9io4_1280.png
    tumblr_neqp5zeda21twvu9io1_1280.png
    tumblr_neqp5zeda21twvu9io2_1280.png
    tumblr_neqp5zeda21twvu9io3_1280.png

8. Had a talk with a friend who's got a mechanical engineering background and he suggested using a mill for the main part of the tuner. We have a CNC at the FabLab and I like that idea because, well it's an excuse to use the CNC :D but also because clamping down all tuning machine beside each other I can get them very close to identical in dimension.

9. Cut the rest of the tuners and checked out the CNC setup today. I figured, if I can't get a clean cut with the miter saw and have to clean it up on the CNC might as well do it fast and rough with a hack saw :D

tumblr_neuauqz9O91twvu9io2_1280.png
    tumblr_neuauqz9O91twvu9io1_1280.png

10. Progress! :D I setup the CNC (took me nearly an hour) only to find out that it was very hard to control the manual feed rate, splinters were flying everywhere and the toolhead kept digging deep in the brass, deforming the setup :/

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io2_1280.png

After that experience a member told me that he had a nice electronic miter saw with a metal blade that he keeps in his private storage ... perfect tool for the job!

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io3_1280.png

Nice edges, only need a little bit of polishing.

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io7_1280.png

Next up: the knobs.
    I never used a lathe before but the operator encourage me to try it out. Machining the brass was a very smooth process. Really enjoyed turning the parts, just a relaxing process :)

First: cleaning up the edges, get them all to equal length and adding a bezel. Just did it all by eye.

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io4_1280.png

Then drilling 2.5mm holes and cutting the M3 inner thread.

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io6_1280.png
    tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io1_1280.png

tumblr_nex2kpaC3l1twvu9io5_1280.png

Splods likes this.
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Once again, I have shop envy

SandCBass likes this.
  12. I'm very lucky to have a fablab in my city :) It's a great place, almost everyone there loves to talk about their project and is interested in the things that happen in the lab. Just a very healthy atmosphere that's mostly about sharing wisdom, experience and knowledge.
    A few weeks ago I did a little talk on building electric guitars and basses and there were some people that didn't play or build instruments, they just wanted to get an idea of how it's done and what it takes :D
    Apart from having access to tools that I can't afford or would only use every two years it's all about talking through every step of a process and getting help and suggestions from interested, intelligent people.

Barnaby likes this.
  13. Daz JP

Daz JP

Aug 12, 2014
    Best learning curve ever. Now if you could combine the shop experience with everyone else there speaking another language, you'd be a genius in months...:)

14. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    So, is it like a fully equipped shop that you can use for a small fee?

15. Far from it! It's a very young project and still in it's beginning stages. At the moment we got a lathe, CNC (work in progress), drill press, various power tools (drills, hacksaws, ...), a mobile router table (my little pet project), labsupplies, scopes, soldering station and over the last weeks a large lasersaur was built. Some guys are working on infrastructure so we got a nice wireless network setup and a sensor/actor network is under construction. The biggest attraction in the shop are the 3D printers though :)

The FabLab movement originated from the hackerspace idea modified by the maker attitude.
    Since the lab in Karlsruhe (http://fablab-karlsruhe.de/) is rather small right now it is on a pay what you want basis, so becoming a member is easy and growth will happen faster. We got a few sponsors, like the local university (KIT) and some local companies, but it is all non-profit and driven by the open-source ethos :)
    It's basically a club, but instead of chess we play the game of researching new ways of manufacturing :D

16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Sounds like a really cool concept. But I can see some logistical headaches, like keeping unqualified people off of a machines. Safety is also a major factor

17. Safety is key in an open workshop! We have worked out a lot of guidelines and procedures. For example: the lasercutter project had a dedicated safety group, only working on that topic.
    Every machine has appropriate switches and most of them can only be turned on with a key. You are only allowed to use a machine after you've been briefed and when the shop is open there is always someone around who keeps an eye out for safety, dangerous behavior, drugs (yep alcohol and caffeine are drugs too :p ), etc.

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Very cool, Im interested in the progress of this project.

19. jcanderson

jcanderson

Apr 13, 2013
    Los Altos, CA
    There's something similar out here -- it's called "TechShop". There are 3 in the California Bay Area where I live, and 8 total around the country -- even one in Austin, but that's probably pretty far from Houston.

I toured one of the local ones a couple of years ago. Quite an impressive array of equipment. And they have classes.

20. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Austin is a good 2 1/2 hour drive from Houston 3 hours from the side of town I'm on, but I go there pretty often. I will have to stop by and check it out next time I'm in the city.

EDIT: I just checked it out, though it would be nice to have access to metal working equipment, even if a shop was opened in Houston, at $125 a month I think it would be much less expensive to have any random parts I may need built at a machine shop.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022