Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret board thickness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by River Gambler, Mar 30, 2005.

1. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    On one of my basses I used a 1/4" thick wenga fret board. The head stock is 3/4" thick with a graphite epoxy rod in stead of a truss rod. The neck is maple. This was a bass I built in need of something to do with the parts I had. I had little money at the time. It turned out to be best sounding bass I have built. I gave it to a friend of mine right after I built about 10 years ago and it sat in a gig bag until 4 months ago. The thing is excelent shape, the neck shows no sign of warpping, it still plays like a dream and sounds fantastic! Did I hit on something with the neck or is it a fluke? That is the question to do again or not do again.Tom

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Odd question, Tom, but I think 1/4" is a good thickness. I'm going with that myself. By the way, you might want to use a truss rod instead of the graphite.

3. 1/4" is what I'm use. I'd like to try something thinner sometime though.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I thought 1/4" was standard. That is what I have always used.t

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    My first bass has a 3/8" fingerboard, but it was made in China (or Korea maybe), so perhaps that's why. Anything to save a few cents... :rolleyes: