Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret buzz and nut carving.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Compressed, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Hi all,

On my project bass (SX P/J) I set up the neck relief, action height and intonation well. I've done this countless times with no problems on my other and friends basses. However, only one damn fret is buzzing when played, it's 14th fret on the D string. Every other note is spot on, but when I hit that one, I get a god awful buzz. I can raise the action up to 3/32 with the buzz eliminated, but I much prefer my action really low, such as 1.5/32 on my Yamaha.
    As I've never touched a fret file, would it be best to send the beast to have the fets levelled?
    Also, is there a tutorial on nut carving? I would really love to learn how to do this as I prefer brass nuts and am sick of paying someone else to do it.

2. You can take a short steel rule - 3" or so - and lay across the fret and see if you can get it to rock back and forth on that fret. If it does, that on is higher than the adjacent frets. The reason it's high is another thing. Could be that it's sprung up a little and a tap with a hammer could bring it down OR it could be that it's hasn't been crowned correctly. In that case you can just dress that fret alone and you don't have to touch the rest if they are properly leveled and playing OK.

Get the StewMac fretting video and the catalog. The website also will yield a bunch of info. The tools are simple and don't necessarily have to be SM to work well. I only have the StewMac Fret mitrebox and saw. My crowning file came from Hosokawa and my jewelers files from Harbor Freight. I made my leveling bars (3 sizes) and my adjustable radius block.

3. Thatnks guys, it ended up that the 16th fret had popped up a little under the D string. A light tap with a small mallet and all is perfect!

Cheers,

Pete