Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret buzz behind the fretted note.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DrDrill, Oct 4, 2005.

1. I've been playing for a lot of years but this is a new one for me.

In the last few days, when I play my Ric unplugged and play the E string on the 6th, 7th, and 8th frets the string buzzes between the fretted note and the headstock end. :eyebrow:

Anyone else seen this?.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. It's fairly rare but does happen. Not much you can do if you like the action the way it is. Fortunately, that buzzing usually doesn't get picked up through the amp.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If the neck relief is properly set, then buzzing between the fretted note and the nut usually indicates that the nut slots are cut too low. To check if this is the case, slacken the strings, and slip one or two thicknesses of paper between the nut slot and the string, thus raising the string slightly in the nut. Make sure the paper doesn't extend beyond the leading edge of the nut. Tune up and see if the problem disappears. If so, your nut slots are too deep - time for a new nut, a nut shim etc.

4. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I had that on a Fender of mine and it was due to the strings being too old and worn and once I replaced them it stopped. But the neck is most likey where the problem is located, since that same Fender of mine needed a neck adjustment when I first bought it but never got one until half a year later when a real pro at Action Music in Leominster saw the problem that was overlooked at Guitar Center. (That same bass had the E string saddle in the bridge pop out the first day so it wasn't the best thing to begin with...)

Since you have a Ric you don't have to worry about neck tilt like bolt on necks since Rics are neck through body, so it should just be a simple truss rod (two in the case of a Ric) adjustment. If that doesn't work then it may be at the bridge or a slight warp in the neck which would be unlikely but worse case senario.