1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret buzz - climate change? add or remove relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by markdavid, Jan 12, 2017.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi All,

Went to play my Mustang bass yesterday, hadn't played it since about Monday (was playing my Jaguar bass), it has a little fret buzz where there previously was none, I am assuming climate change is to blame , there was some heavy rain a couple days ago and it has been fairly cold, there is a little buzz on the G string on about frets 1-4 , I am fairly sure the fretwork is ok as I had a setup done about a month ago and they checked the fretwork, I am assuming I need to add a little relief to the neck?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, the neck has probably moved a little bit in the backbow direction, in protest of the weather. Or not being played. Basses can be like that. It wants attention.

Loosen the truss rod a small amount. Don't touch the other settings. That should give it a little more relief and stop the buzzing. In a month or two, if the action seems like it's getting a little high, tighten the truss rod a bit. That's what it's there for.

Bobster likes this.
  3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Exactly right. If you get a buzz in 1 - 5, loosen. If it's from 12 or higher, tighten.

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks, wanted to check before I start adjusting

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Read through Jerzy Drozd's ultimate setup guide. You can find it located in the stickies for this sub-forum. After reading it, read it again. At that point you should be comfortable enough to start tweaking your bass.