1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret buzz E and G strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Yonni, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I'm not that experienced with setting up a bass but willing to learn. I’ve noticed fret buzz on the E and G strings around the 8th to 11th frets. Is this a coincidence and saddle height issue or do I need to adjust the truss rod? It’s an Ibanez Geo 180, so a very budget (but decent enough) bass. There is also a weird vibration on the E string saddle that I can only fix by wedging a bit of folded paper between it and the A string saddle. I’m probably going to replace the bridge. The reason I’m spending so much effort on such an entry level bass is because it’s the first bass I owned and was a present from my wife.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Setup time. Since you want to learn, read this and memorize it. Then execute. http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf
    Jerzy is Polish so some of the language is a bit off but it’s a great resource. You can also look at the other resources here ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

We can’t determine here, isolated from your bass by the internet, what is up and what needs adjusting without a lot more information. First, a relief measurement would be needed, but there’s so many other variables it’s better you read Jerzys guide and gain a basis for asking proper questions so we may assist.

Now your buzzing saddles. They usually have two height screws each. Make sure the saddle is nearly perfectly level adjusting with the height screws. Youll read about also using them to set action.

Yonni likes this.
  3. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Thanks Tbird. I’ll take a look at Jerzy’s guide. There is so much information available with the internet now it makes me wonder how long it took to find this stuff out 20+ years ago.