Fret Buzz factors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scotius2001, May 9, 2003.

1. Hey all,
    Here's something that always perplexed me. Why are some basses more prone to fret buzzing when set up essentially equally (same amount of relief, same action height etc.)? What other factors are the biggest contributors to this? Bridge type? Wood combinations? String type?

I've played a handful of basses in my time (that were always over my head price-wise) with very comfy setups that I could dig in on and not cause appreciable buzzing especially when playing with a pick. I currently play a Lakland 55-02 that I just can't get set up with comfortable action and keep from buzzing noticably (particularly for recording). Are some basses just not capable of having low action without buzzing? What basses are you playing out there that DON'T suffer from this?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is interesting.....bumpers
  3. I've been told by several professional luthiers that the combination of woods is a huge factor, as it is with acoustic instruments. For instance I had a Fender Jazz with an ash body and maple fretboard which buzzed like a mutha' due to the resonance of both those lively woods working together. I've found basses with alder bodies and rosewood fretboards play best with the least amount of buzz. Just my experience.