Fret Buzz from the 17th on up on the A & E strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by djshawn47, Jan 28, 2004.

1. I Have a 4 string American Fender deluxe FMT jazz bass, and there is fretbuzz on the A and E strings on the upper register of the bass. Ive had the bass set up by a professional but he could not get rid of the buzz. He advised that i take it to the local Bass Tech. Is there anything that can be done. Would they file down the frets? Does anyone have any idea what would help.

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Unless you have something really off the wall wrong with your bass, Simply raising the bridge rollers on the A and E should correct the prob.

It's kind of unlikely that there is a fret problem because it buzzes from the 17th fret to the end of the board(if I understand you correctly). A fret problem would also most likely be apparent on the E and G as well as the A and E.

I don't quite understand why a profesional wouldn't be able to resolve this problem very easily since it is a classic problem with a pretty much cut and dried cure.

Harrell S.
  3. Thanks for your response. I don't know why i was told that i needed to go to a tech, that is why i posted here. When you said raise the rollers, did you mean raise the action? or is that something else?

Thank you.
  4. Start with a quarter turn on each side of the bridge to raise the action. Only go until the buzz disappears. If the tech did not do a neck adjustment it may need that. It is about that time of year for most of us.
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yes, that's what I mean. Only raise the rollers enough to clear up the buzzing. Keep the rollers level by raising each of the setscrews equally.