1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret Buzz help (with some detailed info!)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EnVaria, Mar 8, 2017.

1. EnVaria

EnVaria

Mar 8, 2017
    Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a Squire Vintage Modified V and am having some issues with fret buzz.

For my setup I used automotive feeler gauges to set the relief of the neck at about 0.014"-0.015" as measured at the 8th fret. A capo was put on one and I depressed the B, E, and A strings one at a time at the 17th fret to check relief with the feeler gauge.

I then measured the height of each string above the 17th fret with capo removed. The approximate height of each string is as follows:
    B - 3mm
    E - 2mm
    A - 2mm
    D - 2mm
    G - 1.5ish mm

I'm getting buzz from the 13th to the 18th frets with severe buzz from 15th to 17th where the note is nearly choked out by buzz. This only occurs on the E, A, and D strings. There is no buzz present on the B or G strings.

I also have a 4 string American Standard Jazz that is set-up nearly identically (ever so slightly tighter on string height) and I have no issues with buzz. Both basses have D'Addario EXL 45-105 on them. Since set-up and strings are identical I'm pretty sure it's not a technique issues as my Fender plays beautifully.

Can I fix this issue without having to raise the action? I'd love to tighten things up if possible as well. Any ideas what's going on here?

Thank you in advance!

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    NoCal
    A fret level.
    The Squier is good for what it is I had to knock a couple down on mine.
    I have also had to dress a couple here or there on high end basses.

JLS likes this.
  3. EnVaria

EnVaria

Mar 8, 2017
    So I guess on the bright side my setup info must sound ok. I kind of figured a fret job would be the answer to this question but that's not something I'd ever even heard of until about a month ago let alone had done.

So theoretically if I had a fret job could I tighten up my action or is lower action an unreasonable expectation of mine considering the instrument?

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Old luthier rule on fret buzz; either the strings are too low or the frets are too high. In your case, "some" frets are too high, not seated properly. You can use a brass punch / hammer to seat high frets, but you have to be careful and not over-do it. Unless you are pretty skilled, you might not want to try.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    /\/\3phist0 likes this.