1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fret buzz (i know theres a sticky but...)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mattmisfit, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mattmisfit

mattmisfit

Jul 11, 2007
    i know there's a sticky concerning set up but i just would like some re-assurence!

Im totally happy with the action on my bass apart from the first say 1-5 frets buzz ALOT, rest is fine. Do i need to raise my strings slightly or loosen the truss rod slightly?
    If loosening the truss rod is the answer will this take effect more or less straight away?

thanks

Matt

2. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    adjusting the truss rod will be a night and day difference. Just recently in a gig my neck was flattening out, and so around the first fret it was too flat it just sounded like garbage. A quick emergency truss rod adjust, and bam, i could play again.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It is difficult to diagnose a physical problem with an instrument. The more facts that are posted will render the best advice. There is not enough data in your post to make a diagnosis. Measure the string height at the twelfth fret on the bass and treble sides of the neck, and also the relief at F7-8. If you do not know how to do this the information is in the sticky at the top of the page. The link to Mr. Gearhead will be the most helpful because they teach it like a luthier does it. Post the information here and someone will help you.

4. mattmisfit

mattmisfit

Jul 11, 2007
    ok thanks. this by the way is on a brand new usa fender highway one precission bass. i notice the truss rod nut is on the end with the body on. so i turn clock wise a quarter?