Fret buzz on 4th string (all frets) Stingray bass Pick Player

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Enriquedelapaz, May 15, 2021.

1. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    Im having alot of issues with my new Music Man HH stingray bass, because no matter what adjustments i do, i even raised the nut with a piece of credit card, the 4th string always has this annoying buzz on every fret i press! The action is already super high, i cannot raise the saddle anymore or the screas will come off, my other basses which are gibsons, old peavey, yamaha, ESP and ampeg, they just dont buzz as bad as my most expensive bass, and its really disappointing :( im getting desperate! I really tried everything, from raising the action, to raising the nut, and losening the truss rod a bit (dont want to overdo it so i just did very slight moves there) My tech says its just me being a hard hitter with the pick (genre is Old School 80s rock like Skid Row and Guns and roses) im using a tortex green .88 its so weird, the other 3 strings dont buzz even a bit and i hit them just as hard.... Any other fixes you can think of? Its driving me crazy already! I uploaded a file where im testing the frets, those are 3 different basses the first is the Music Man with the problem, the 2nd is a messed up gibson ripper (electronics have to go for a check with my local tech) and the 3rd one is my beloved Flying V bass sounding FLAWLESS, the fret buzz do not translate to the tone! I know its long, but im really in need of some good advice :(

Attached Files:

2. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Sounds to me like maybe the nut notch is too deep for just that one string. If you're able, maybe you could just replace the nut? As an alternative, you could try building up just the fourth string notch - I've seen YouTube videos showing how to do it, but can't speak from experience.

3. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Try another string.
    I would think that if it was a set up thing other strings would have at least some buzzing too.

BTW the nut is part of the problem(buzz) on open strings only.

4. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, you're right. I missed the part about "every fret I press". Late night & couldn't sleep. The suggestion about trying another string is right on. I remember one set of strings I had that just one string buzzed until I changed out the set. Apparently that set had a bad "D" string ... I dunno ... the problem was gone with the new set.

Leonid Nidis likes this.
  5. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah I had all sort of problems with one string intonation and buzzing,I messed around with a setup for a long time but only when I changed this particular string all was fine again.

6. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    Its really weird, this is a Dunlop nickel 110 string, and it always buzzes when i press the string against the frets, open there´s no fret buzz

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If the neck is good and straight with no gimps or twists or uneven frets, you likely don’t have enough relief.

You have to set relief for the string that has the most mass (largest area of motion) and then compensate the other strings to work within that constraint. You can’t just set the relief you think you want, you have to make it work for the particular condition the neck is in. If you insist on a specific relief measurement and it’s not working out, you need to look at fret levelling and other neck issues. If you don’t want to look at those neck surface issues then setup must balance the cons to achieve playability.

set your relief at .01” - .012”, set the action on your E string so it plays well, followed by the other strings

there is nothing wrong with the E string having higher action than the others. It is an easy string to press compared to the smaller ones so a bit higher action isn’t a problem.

Or pay for a professional full level and dress of the frets to suit your needs.

BTW, your problem doesn’t have a thing to do with your nut slots.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    FWIW I have had more problems with Dunlop strings than all others combined. They have great flexibility, and I think I know how they attained that, but it seems to be at the expense of consistency and often at the expense of intonation. YMMV.

9. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    i dont know but we tried 2 different sets for the 4th string already and nothing changes, fret buzz even got worse

10. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Does it buzz on every fret or only some of them? IMHO the relief is not enough or some frets may be badly installed at this side of the neck resulting in high-fret condition under 4th string.

11. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    There is plenty fretboard relief already and it doesnt stop, i feel so downed because this is my most expensive bass and i cant play it the way i want to.... My gibsons dont do this, my yamaha, and other 3 basses i have dont do this either, i have them drop tuned to C# and play with a pick and not a single one of them fret buzzes like the Stingray....

12. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Try a hex core string like DR Nickel Lo-Rider. I find hex core strings feel slightly stiffer and may help.

13. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    im about to try rotosounds for the first time, billhy sheehan set.... The last one were dunlop nickels .110

14. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Good choice. I have them on my P bass currently.
    While installing new set take care of witness points/ breaking angles at the nut and bridge saddles though.

15. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    i changed the nut for a J bass i had around and the fret buzz got less bad, im ordering a new tusq xl that fits, any recommendations on nuts for stingray?

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    The nut is not the problem if it buzzes on every fret. If it only buzzed on the open string it might be the nut, but not otherwise.

17. Enriquedelapaz

Enriquedelapaz

Dec 7, 2020
    buzzed on the first 4 frets even with neck relief

18. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Check for the high fret around 3-4-5 position under all stings. Use "fret rocker" method. Also, evaluate by eye if the neck doesn't have S-curve/ski-jump condition (read about it here: Getting the Facts about Ski Jumps)

P.S. Lower the action on E string and check if it doesn't start to buzz on higher frets. This would indicate the ski-jump as well.

Enriquedelapaz likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021