"Fret" buzz on a lined fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WallaceThrasher, Nov 1, 2017.

1. WallaceThrasher

WallaceThrasher

Oct 17, 2017
    I recently got my first fretless, ebony board with inlaid lines of an unknown wood. On most "frets" (seems to be 1 and anything above 5), if I finger directly on a line or slide through it slowly I get an ugly buzz that hurts my sustain. I already plan on having the board releveled due to visible wear from rounds, but is this the source of the problem - lines of the softer wood getting worn more quickly than the surrounding ebony? The rest of the board sounds fine so I don't think it is related to the relief/saddles, but I'm hoping this isn't an issue inherent in lined fretless.

2. You’re in the double bass forum, but your problem is in our wheelhouse.

The strings are most likely buzzing because the fingerboard is uneven and/or the relief is improper.

Get a good setup and all should be well.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021