Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzz on One String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Jan 20, 2002.

1. I recently obtained a late '90's Fender MIA Jazz 4 string and am having trouble with excessive fret buzz only on the "G" string on the first 4 frets. Normally this would suggest a neck which is too straight, but none of the other strings have this problem. I've tried adding a substantial amount of relief and the buzz eventually goes away about time the bass becomes unplayable. Also, with this amount of relief, I start picking up some excessive buzzing on all the strings at the upper 3 or 4 frets. Setting the neck back to fairly straight and jacking the strings way up seems to be the only solution I've found. Could it be that I have a warped neck or some kind of "s" curve? BTW, I just installed a new set of DR Highbeams 45-105. Bad set of strings?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Is the neck twisted?
    Can you notice a difference in relief/straightness between bass side and mid side?
    Are the frets properly installed?
    Could it be a resonance problem (check the same notes on other strings)?

It would hardly be a string problem...

3. The neck seems slightly straighter on the "G" side but it's not that much. The frets are perfect and appear to be properly seated. The notes in question (A through C) do not buzz elsewhere.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I am guessing one of the frets is the culprit. From what you are saying I would further guess it to be 6 0r 7. Play up the neck one note at a time till the buzz stops. Usually it will be that fret,( the one where the buzz stops), or the next one up that is the high fret. To confirm it take a short straight edge, one that will only span 3 frets, and lay it on the neck along the g string. Center the edge over the suspect fret and the straight edge will rock up and down ever so slightly if the fret is high.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Second that!
    I have some experiance with too high 7th, on different basses. Could be something with the woods drying process, after finished.

6. Thanks people, I'll check it out!