Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret buzz on only 8th fret of the E String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rbud2003, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have a Marcus Miller Sig 4 string where I'm only getting fret buzz on the 8th fret on the E string. The 5th fret on the E string will buzz when hit hard but other than that, there is no fret buzz on the bass. I'm using TI Powerbass strings.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    With only one string buzzing right in the middle of the neck, it could be almost anything.

First, make sure the frets are level by laying a short straightedge in the 6-10th fret area. if the edge won't touch all the frets, you have some idea if there is a high one. If this is the case, I highly recommend you take it to a trusted tech to have it leveled and dressed.

If they are level, simply raise the E string saddle to stop the buzzing. If you have to raise unacceptably high in order to stop the buzz, you may have to tweak the neck relief a bit.

I would start by giving the neck slightly MORE relief. No more than a 1/4 turn or so loosening the truss.

If you do mess with the truss, you'll probably have to completely set up the entire instrument again.

3. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I added a bit more relief to cure the problem. Thanks again!