Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret buzz on Sterling

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by halfnote, Feb 26, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I bought a new EB Sterling bass and I love it more than mexican food but after I set the action where I like it (fairly low, but not like MAJOR low) it rattles something fierce on the second fret (all strings), and buzzes pretty good at the twelfth on the E and the A. It came from bassnw with high action and it does not buzz when the action is high. Is there a quick fix that I can do or do I need a pro to take a look? I love this bass, it must be fixed! Thanks..

-halfnote

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Fretjob needed, I'm afraid...

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Oh jeez that sounds bad. What does that entail? Is it considered defective if it needs a fretjob? Would that be covered under a warranty?

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, not sure how this is handled in the U.S. You're gonna have to pay for it yourself I think...

There's NO need for new frets! Just get a good service-person to level the frets.
    On new basses the wood takes some time to settle and it can push up some of the frets, I guess that's what happened to your MM. The high frets need to be filed down a little to level with the others. Costs: around 50 bucks over here (Germany), but can go as high as 120 - depends on whom you consult. Ask around to find a good guitar shop that does this kind of service.

5. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I see. I was advised not to worry about action height when choosing a bass, I thought maybe that might have been some bad advice! I just called and made a dr's appointment for it tomorrow. I was hoping that a bass that costs over a grand wouldn't need something like this. I would think that frets rising up would be considered defective, but no matter. Thanks JMX!

-halfnote

6. If you are certain that it is a defect from the factory I suggest you contact Bass NW since this should be covered under warranty. Sounds to me like the truss rod could have used some adjustment before you actually lowered the action at the bridge. Take it to a reputable tech and have them take a look first if you don't live near Bass NW and take it from there. I sincerely doubt that a fret dressing is in order and a fret job (replacement) is certainly not needed since the bass is new. Also, the frets would have to have been improperly installed for them to become raised so it's not new wood settling.

Good luck!

7. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    hmmm..I never lowered the strings at the bridge. Should I? I just turned the truss rod wheel clockwise. This is what the EB website said to do to lower the strings. I am sure the tech I am taking it to will know if it is defective in some way. The store he works at is reputable and a MM dealer as well, so I am sure that they have some type of warranty relationship with EB. It is probably not the bass, I just don't know what I am doing obviously. The website made it sound simple because the wheel is at the base of the neck.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Halfnote, did it have the buzz in it before you turned the truss rod?

It sounds like you may have taken the relief out of the neck when you turned the truss rod, which will make it buzz on the nut end.

I hate to disagree with the website, but IMHO the truss rod is not meant to adjust the action height. Thats a function of nut and bridge height.

I would try putting the truss rod adjustment back as close as possible to where it was. Then adjust the action height with the bridge saddles.

If it still has the buzz at the second fret Try tightening the truss about 1/4 turn.

Of course there is ,as JMX pointed out, the chance that the third fret may have come up. You may try tapping the third fret gently with something like the end of a pocket knife. compare the sound to the adjacent frets. if a fret is not seated properly, it will have a "thuddy" sound .

Hope this helps, Pkr2

9. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    OK, this is definitely sounding like a case of my own ignorance. No, it sounded great before I turned the truss rod, no buzzes at all. The action was just too high for me, higher than sterlings I had played in the store. Bassnw might have put it that way on purpose for shipping. I can certainly put it back the way it was, I just turn it slowly counterclockwise until the buzz stops again. I don't think I'll mess with the bridge though. I am looking at it and it is not clear to me the best way to proceed, so I should probably just take it in and have the tech show me. I won't mind paying for the work myself as long as it isn't due to any defect in the workmanship of the bass, and the bass does seem to be built like a tank...

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, when you used the truss-rod to lower the action, my above post becomes irrelevant of course...

pkr2 is totally right here...

11. I must repectfully agree with JMX. With the additional info you supplied, pkr2 is 100% correct!

12. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Thanks for the education. I will set it back and take it in tomorrow and try to get him to show me how it is done correctly. I'll post again when I get it back. I certainly don't know why EB would post that information in their faq.

I appreciate it....

-1/2note

13. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I just got back from the shop. He put a "shim?" in the neck and adjusted the truss rod and saddle height. He also took the time to show me how to do these things myself (not the shim, that was a 'don't try this at home' maneuver.) The action is better and it feels alot more 'fluid' to me. There are no buzzes or rattles. The action is still not as low as a lot of the sterlings I have played in the store though. He said that he could take it lower but he would have to do some surgery that he would rather not do on a new bass. He also thought it needed to break in a little bit more. All in all I consider $25 well spent. Thanks to all.

~1/2note