Fret Buzz on the first two frets of each string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SnookMP4, May 4, 2019.

1. Otis66

Otis66

Apr 29, 2019
    I have one of these. It came with a tool kit I bought off EBay. I also made one from an old credit card that worked just as good.

2. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    The nut was not touched at all, it was a simple action adjustment

3. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    I got it done free

4. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    It's just the first 2 frets, if i tune down it's the first 3 or 4. Unless i play an open string really hard it won't buzz.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    Thanks for all your inputs! I will send it back and ask for a truss rod adjustment.

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Fret at the first and last fret (any string), checking at the 8th fret (distance between bottom of string and top of 8th fret)... describe what you see.

7. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    The string is touching both frets. When i fret from the first fret it doesn't make much difference. The first fret is very close to the fret board. Is my action too low? Is it the truss rod? Is it the nut or frets?

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Fret both the first and last fret (at the same time), on any string, and try describing what you see at the 8th fret, between bottom of string and top of fret.

9. SnookMP4

SnookMP4

Dec 13, 2018
    The bottom of the string and top of the frets are touching as i have said before

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Step 1 of 4... it really pays to watch them in sequence.

Minimal tools, not rocket science... you can do this yourself, if you so desire. The money you save can go toward a couple sets of strings.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. What’s your measurement for neck relief?? String should not hit the fret(7th) when first fret and 17th are fretted. Action way to low if it is. Should be .012” of space at the 7th fret.

12. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Seems to indicate it's tension related and loosening the truss rod a bit will help.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021