1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Buzz only in D string between 3th and 11th frets.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Argojit, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Hey. As I mentioned in the title I only have fret buzz on D string on my MIM j bass. It starts on the third fret and goes to the 11th fret. Is it bridge height. I tried raising it but it didn't solve the problem. What might be the solution for it? Thanks.

2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Check the frets along there to see if they are level. You may have a tall one that needs filed.

RedJag likes this.
  3. What’s your relief like? Could be a backbow. Start with relief and do a complete setup.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You got the correct string on there?

5. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    I can not understand it by just looking at it. Is there a technique to understand it? Thanks.

6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    There are a lot of videos on youtube. Search "how to check fret level". A credit card can substitute for a fret rocker.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Hold first fret on E string and last fret on E string at same time.
    Look at how much clearance there is at the 9th fret.
    Should be a business card gap between the bottom of string and top of fret.
    If too much gap you have too much relief and if they are too close or touching you need to add relief.

8. What everyone else said. Use a capo at the first fret, hold the string down where the neck heel starts. Typically about 17-20. You should have about .012”-.015” between the string and 7th or 9th fret. A business card just slipping in there only lightly touching the string will do in a pinch.

If there’s not enough clearance, loosen the truss rod a little.

9. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    When I do it and insert a credit card in the gap It stays there when I'm holding the first and the last fret at the same time.

10. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    When I do it and insert a credit card in the gap It stays there when I'm holding the first and the last fret at the same time.

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Insert a business card. Credit cards are thicker.
    If the same result then you need to add relief.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  12. As shawshank72 said, a credit card is thicker. Best option is to go to Auto Zone or even Harbor Freight and get a set of feeler gauges. .012” is low, average.