1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret buzz only on 2 frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brianmharrison, Jul 27, 2016.

1. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Hi
    I have a Peavey Milestone II (p bass copy) that I adjusted the truss rod on yesterday to lower the action on the upper frets a bit.

However, now I have fret buzz, but only on the 13th and 15th frets on the A string only. The rest of the frets and strings do not buzz. What gives?

Thanks!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Go read the stickies on how to do a setup.
    The truss rod is for adjusting the curve of the neck.
    The saddle screws are for changing string height.

3. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the reply. I have done setups before, but never ran into this problem.

There was too much curve in the neck which caused the action on the upper frets to be high but the lower frets to be pretty low. Once I adjusted the truss rod the action on the upper frets is better, but I only get a buzz on the 13th and 15th fret of only 1 string which is odd. I am assuming since the buzz is not consistent across the upper frets that it is not that the neck is too flat. Is is a fret leveling problem or something?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sounds very much like uneven frets. Check to make sure they are level and well seated from the 12th fret upward.

brianmharrison and Hopkins like this.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    True, BUT, once your action screws are adjusted, and if the neck moves because of a climate/humidity change, a truss rod adjustment will correct action without touching the saddles at all.

brianmharrison likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    This is your answer. Pay close attention to the 14th and 16th fret.

sissy kathy and brianmharrison like this.
  7. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Thank so much for the replies! Very helpful.