Fret Buzz Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Soul_Killa_Dark, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Hello my fellow bassists! Well, to start off, I am a beginner bassist and just got my first bass, an Ibanez GSR 200, and everything seems fine except I get a REALLY bad buzz when I play the G string on the first fret, and the buzzing diminishes on the second fret, then gone totally on the third. I tried raising the saddles but that did not work. When I play open G it sounds fine; it's tuned in standard too.

I would really appreciate any help! Thank you for your time and help!

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Do you know how to check relief? Let's establish that first, as too flat a neck can often lead to some buzz in the area you mention.

The sticky thread at the top of the forum about truss rods and action contains a number of good links. I prefer the Mr. Gearhead info...

3. Thank you very much for replying Joshua!

According to the Sadowsky article, the relief is somewhat not right; the neck is too straight, which is causing the buzz on the "first position" (does this mean first fret?). Sadowsky says that I will need to adjust the truss rod, but will I need to take out the strings for this? My bass is brand new, not even three days old, and I don't want to mess with it, because I'm a beginner, but if it's necessary then I guess have no choice but to adjust the truss rod.

4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut

De nada, it's what we're here for!

I agree with this initial assessment given the info so far. I would add some relief were it my bass.

As to who should add the relief, that is your call. While it is a most basic adjustment (and one that most folks here would recommend getting comfortable with), if done wrong it can indeed cause damage. The strings do not need to be removed, but I personally loosen my strings before making truss rod adjustments.

Bottom line; I prefer to err on the side of caution. Since you just bought it (at a store?), perhaps someone there can show you the basics? Once you've seen it done you will most probably be more comfortable doing it yourself.

In any event, keep us posted!

5. I too am with joshua, you might as well grt used to adjustments, they are a part of owning and playing a musical instrument. You may want to give some consideration to going to the store and paying for an initial set up, and see if you can watch. then you will know what to do next time, and there WILL be a next time.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021