fret buzz question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MascisMan, May 24, 2004.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a G&L SB-2 (P/J combo)

I absolutely love the feel of this neck along with the weight of the body. It seems when i start going above the 12th fret I am getting fret buzz on the E and A strings. The D and G strings are fine.

I look down the fretboard and it seems straight. Maybe it is too straight and needs some relief? Maybe the bridge saddles need to be raised a hair?

What do you guys think?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Saddles raised higher.
  3. 1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height/saddle adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Treena

the guitar is perfect on all strings up to the 12th fret. The D and G string are perfect all the way past the 12th fret as well. The E and A string buzz starting around the 12 or 13th fret.

I am going to try and raise the saddle just a hair to see if that solves it.
  5. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a good idea of what your problem is. It could be that one of more of the upper end frets has popped up a hair and that is what is causing your fretbuzz. At any rate, like they said, raising the saddles high enough will eliminate the problem. I will also add that if you want a real low action you better have a damn good fret job and neck adjustment because if not you get da' buzz. :p Oh yeah, I wanted to keep a low action and couldn't afford to get the frets set back up so I filed the top of the fret down a bit. That was a mistake though, because if I ever DO get the frets fixed it will end up too low. :(