Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret buzz question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MascisMan, May 24, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a G&L SB-2 (P/J combo)

I absolutely love the feel of this neck along with the weight of the body. It seems when i start going above the 12th fret I am getting fret buzz on the E and A strings. The D and G strings are fine.

I look down the fretboard and it seems straight. Maybe it is too straight and needs some relief? Maybe the bridge saddles need to be raised a hair?

What do you guys think?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Saddles raised higher.

3. 1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height/saddle adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Treena

the guitar is perfect on all strings up to the 12th fret. The D and G string are perfect all the way past the 12th fret as well. The E and A string buzz starting around the 12 or 13th fret.

I am going to try and raise the saddle just a hair to see if that solves it.

5. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a good idea of what your problem is. It could be that one of more of the upper end frets has popped up a hair and that is what is causing your fretbuzz. At any rate, like they said, raising the saddles high enough will eliminate the problem. I will also add that if you want a real low action you better have a damn good fret job and neck adjustment because if not you get da' buzz. :p Oh yeah, I wanted to keep a low action and couldn't afford to get the frets set back up so I filed the top of the fret down a bit. That was a mistake though, because if I ever DO get the frets fixed it will end up too low. :(