Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret buzz. Should it happen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 20, 2003.

1. I've been finding when I play that i get a lot of buzz on the lower frets. Should this be happening or should I adjust my bridge a litte?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think if you have a consistent fret buzz across all strings at the end of the neck, it means your neck doesn't have enough relief. Its too flat. I believe that a sign of your bridge being set too low (with the neck adjusted properly) would result in fret buzz all the way up the neck.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I as far as I can remember, with the bridge set completely down, a well set neck should buzz over the whole fretboard.
    If it buzzes on the lower frets, the neck has too much relief (bends backwards).
    If it buzzes on the higher frets, is doesn't have enough (bends forwards).

This is the way I set my necks:

Take the bridge/saddles right down.
    Check the afore mentioned buzzing rule.
    Capo first fret, hold down last fret.
    You should be able to slide a credit card under the strings at about the middle (7th, 8th 9th fret area).
    Raise bridge/saddles till buzzing stops.
    Adjust saddles to suit, and perhaps re-adjust bridge height (Assuming you've got separately adjustable bridge height and saddles like me)