1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret-buzz? Something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PhilMan99, May 25, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got an Ibanez SR496 6-string. Fairly low/good action.

I don't have what I know as fret-buzz, since I don't hear any frets buzzing on the fretboard (knock on wood...). On the other hand, when I put my ear to the "horn" of my bass and play it un-amplified, I hear a distinct buzzing (physical/mechanical, since the bass isn't plugged-in) on some notes. 3rd-fret A-string is especially bad.

The buzzing, when I listen closely in a quiet room seems to be coming from the body of the bass, in the area of the pickups. I loosened the pickups, and jiggled them around, but it didn't make any difference (didn't remove them, since strings were still on). I also opened-up the electronics/battery cavity, but didn't see/hear anything there.

I'm kind-of suspecting the bridge, since the sound does not SEEM to be coming from the neck (truss-rod or frets).

Question: Before I buy a new Hipshot "style A" bridge, can the apparent source of vibration on a bass "fool you"? Might I be hearing what is really neck problems (truss or fret), even though it sounds like the vibration comes from the center of the body?

I don't really want to spend money for a luthier to work on the bass - it is only a $600 bass. On the other hand, I don't want to invest over $100, and risk messing-up the bass if the chance of this being the problem is in question.

2. Vibration is a funny thing, and it can appear in places that you never expected, miles away from its source. My old Ibanez Roadster suddenly started buzzing at the body when I was practicing without plugging in (which is always good for paranoid worries about such things). I took the strings off and tapped and poked at all the hardware without discovering anything. It wasn't until I restrung it that I noticed that the D string machine head bolt had come a little loose. A quick application of the Swiss Army Knife, and no more buzzing. If you can only hear this noise in a quiet room with your ear pressed to the wood, I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    True, but...
    ...the bass has a generally "weak" structural feel to it when I pluck the string, although the neck and body seem to be pretty good. I really wonder about the cheap (plastic alloy?) stock Ibanez bridge.

I don't think I'll do anything until I can afford another bass, so I'll always have one working. I'm in the early "exploring" phase.