1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret Buzz String size and Low Action

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by terrelli721, May 3, 2006.

1. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I have a question about these 3 and how they relate. I have a MM4 and I have the action down pretty low on it. My question is, will a thicker set of strings help with a slight buzz I have on certain frets. I use .045,.065,.085,.105's med nickel round wounds, and was thinking about moving up to an even larger size. I have huge hands and didn't think the extra thickness would matter. I also was wondering if having the frets sanded down a bit was an option as well. I have been playing for years and wouldn't think it was my technique since it's not the case on other basses. I also just had it set up and the neck is straight as can be. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If your action is really that low and you only have buzz on "certain frets", especially if it's in the high traffic area of the neck, you're probably ready to have the frets dressed.

If the buzz is confined to either the high or low register of the neck uniformly, a truss rod tweak may be the answer.

A heavier set of strings may bow the neck a little more and acomplish the neck tweak for you.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    if i'm not mistaken, the neck shouldn't be straight as can be, because that causes fretbuzz. to have no fret buzz, the neck must have some bow to it.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    There is a lot that goes into setup and I understand only some of it. Different tensioned strings (larger or not) could make a difference.

The set height of your nut could make a difference.

I agree that if the culprit is a specific fret or two that you may want or need to deal with them. The neck could or should have some relief in it.

You could try different strings, but you could just need a different luthier.

5. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    your neck should have a small amount of bow so the middle part of the neck has the highest point.. I too like to play low action, and have my 3 fenders with low action.. all have a small amount of bow.. use the truss rod adjustment.

6. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Sam I notice you say you like low action too! What types of strings are you using on your basses.

7. +1

8. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I have been using D'addario and DR, but both eat away quickly with my sweaty hands.. so I bit the bullet and switched to these (see link).. they're more expensive but if you order direct for Germany, they're only about $40/ea slow shipping..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247814

9. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I got another for you Sam. I'm Looking at getting me a five string fender jazz or P, and I have mega-gorilla hands. What is the string spacing on a five string?

10. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I don't have exact mm spacing... But call Fender here in Scottsdale (480) 596-9690 and they'll tell you.. But I too am relatively new to 5 string, and I found the Fender neck to be the widest.. Almost too wide. Some other basses I tried like the Warwick were very narrow and I found my self fatfingering the strings..

11. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I know what you mean. I just sold a schecter stilletto because of the thin neck. Man, it just seems like no matter whatever type of bass I get, I always have to come back to fender.

12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I've owned Alembic, Specter (American), as well as later Ibanez and Carven models, and I too have come to the conclusion that Fender is really the best.. Best of luck.. and May I recommend the Roscoe BecK V as a good place to start..